Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: quilted Jacket

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default quilted Jacket

Has anyone every made a quilted jacket out a sweatshirt? I bought a pattern for one, but have not attempted it yet. Just curious if anyone has every made one. Any tips I should know about?
    Niki

The Guild President

Searching for inspiration :) in other words... I'm here!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: quilted Jacket

I haven't but I'd love to hear how it turns out Good luck!
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Niki - a few months have passed, but in case you see this, I'll go ahead and post.
    A few years ago I made a few sweatshirt jackets. The first one I took a class because the book I bought said I had to cut up the sweatshirt - I was afraid to do that. Now, isn't that silly - to be afraid to cut in to a $5.00 sweatshirt I had gotten from A.C. Moores. The class teacher said that was probably why most of us were there and she was right - we were afraid to cut in to them. Anyways, once you get the sweatshirt apart - sleeves off, the ribbing off the bottom and around the neck, then you cut up the middle in the front, you are ready to sew!
    The first sweatshirt I had cut small squarish/rectanglish pieces from coordinating pieces of fabric - mine were blues, teals, and greens. I sewed each one down using a zigzag stitch the whole way around. So, the pieces do fray a little but not much. Once you fill in each sleeve, the front pieces (2), and the back, you can sew it all back together. I am not a 'sewer', just a quilter and I found this to be easy. Then you put on the binding and voila' you are done! I would suggest you get a book and follow the instructions, I could have done that if I weren't scared. haha!
    The next 2 sweatshirts I made were for a Red Hat Theme. I just got a bunch of red hat fabrics and sewed them together in strips. Put them on the individual pieces of the sweatshirt and binded and done.
    The last one I did was similiar to the Red Hat one. I used horse related fabrics on the front pieces and had a fabric that had a horse ring with riders in it. I cut a large circle out of the fabric and just positioned it on the back and sewed it down using a regular stitch. Turned out really nice.

Good luck and hope you try one.
    Hugs, quiltingtrish
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? quilting trish

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Trish!! Your description sounds great.. And fairly simple too. I agree that the biggest thing is probably that first cut.
    Michele

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Trish. You are so right about cutting up that darn sweatshirt! You would have thought that it cost so much!
    Your explained it well. Now that it is getting cooler, I really should start thinking about working on it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
    Niki (Niurka)

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Check your local thrift shop for sweat shirts - they are usually just a few dollars. While my mom was in hospital and nursing homes, I bought them, opened up the front, cut off the sleeves and made pockets out of them, cut off the bottoms to about the lower ribs and they made perfect warm bed jackets with out any bundlesome fabric all over her.. they could be put on backwards before and after bathtime while in her wheelchair or the bed. Many of the CNA's were asking for them for their patients, and a few 'disappeared'.. No biggy - $3.00 a bit of binding and some time!
    I mention that as cooler weather is coming for most of us - and the sweat shirt jackets are wonderful especially as the weather changes are up and down. I kept one of moms, it has pink quilt binding - and I wear it all the time with grey sweat pants! Might look goofy but I LOVE it - and of course thinking of mom is sweet too.
    If you can't see it riding by on a fast horse - it ain't there.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see some pictures of these!