Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vintage Bed Sheets......to use them in Quilts or Not!

I am "following" a few blogs in my little quilty world and have noticed a lot of people using Vintage Bed Sheets to back their quilts or just cutting them up and using them in quilts period.

I don't know about you but when I first started quilting many years ago someone (I don't remember who) told me NEVER to use sheets to back a quilt. But I never asked Why? I wish I had! So.....what I did is ask some of my blogging friends their opinion. So this week check out my blog to see their answers and some pictures of their wonderful work.

Here is my post to kick the whole thing off: http://mrssewsew.blogspot.com/2012/0...equilting.html

PLEASE remember to be mindful of copyright and don't "Pin" without proper permission or you can see some of them on my Pinterest account.

Hope you enjoy this weeks posts!

Oh and if you have made some quilts using Vintage Sheets or just have an opinion on this please feel free to post it here or on my blog I love to hear from my readers.
    http://renewingmrssewsew.blogspot.com
    Until next time hugs and best stitches to you all,
    Michelle

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vintage Bed Sheets......to use them in Quilts or Not!

Michelle,
    I think you know that I almost always use sheets for my backing. I am not a fabric snob, a purist or perfectionist. I am also not ever a follower of most trends or whatever. I am however a sheet snob. I like good sheets. You know the kind that do not pill. I always keep my eye out at thrifts and yard sales for good quality sheets. Whenever I see any old Fieldcrest sheets, I go bonkers and must have them regardless of size. I can always use them.
    I am certain the thinking behind the whole do not use sheets thing came as a result of the mixed bag of fibers from quilt fabric to sheets years ago. Textiles have changed a whole lot. I have never had a problem using sheets. I love the feel of them, the price I pay at thrifts for them. My granny almost always used sheeting - but then, I live in a town that used to make the sheeting until recent years.
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

ok...so when you use sheets do you use only 100 percent cotton or the 50/50 poly cotton or what? i was going threw my top sheet that i never use and some are 100 percent but others are 50/50. i would love to use the 50/50 but i don't want to mess anything up. please let me know. thank you!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What constitutes a "vintage" sheet? Are they "old" and therefore made differently? Thread count different? I have used sheets for the back of quilts. The only "issue" I have heard about not using them is that the thread count is so close that it is hard on your machine needle to go through it. Tends to dull the needle quickly. I dont' think I have had that problem. I don't notice anything wrong with my needle or the hole it made. I have not used the sheets are fat quarters or for the top of the quilt..although with the price of fabric, I might look into that as twin sheets are $5 at Walmart and they are pretty good sheets and thread count.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sasha, I think the 50/50 blend would not be the best idea since the poly will tend to pill up. I know I've made a few quilts where I never checked fabric content and after a bit of wear and tear you can tell where the polyester is - not fun.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I normally don't use sheets for backing quilts, but I see nothing wrong with it if the sheets are in good shape. If I was going to use sheets, I would want them to be all cotton. I think one of the reasons we have heard not to use sheets for quilt backings is that they can be very hard to quilt through if you hand quilt. Now most of us (not Blondie and Martha) either machine quilt our own quilts or send them out to be done. I would be concerned about the condition of vintage sheets and check them over really well to make sure they are in good shape.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have used vintage sheets both as top and back of quilt. I buy pillowcases whenever I see them in patterns that catch my eye. You can have a quick bundle of fat quarters for pennies! I love the soft feel and they are a DREAM to sew on! The best part, for me anyway, is the way the finished quilt feels....soft and already loved! I have a pic of my most recent in my photos....D9P done with all vintage pillowcases for the top, and a sheet for the back.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You for your in put ladies! I have added the first post on my blog of my friends answering the question of To use sheets or Not to use sheet in quilting.

Here is the link to the post:
    http://mrssewsew.blogspot.com/2012/0...heets-and.html
    Michelle

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if using a ball point needle would make a difference in the use of sheets. I accidently quilted with a ball point needle and it did a great job. Just a thought. Hugs, Jan L.
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea Jan! I might try that too.
    Here is Day 2 of the Quilting with vintage bed sheets.

http://mrssewsew.blogspot.com/2012/0...heets-and.html

This post is about something other than a quilt you can use sheets for! Check it out.
    Michelle