Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default What a kind suggestion!

I sat here this afternoon reading the replies from my last thread"THERE'S ONLY ONE PERSON IN CONTROL". I am so blessed to have came across such a wonderful group of people such as yourselves.I know you are all busy with your families and i am touched deeply by this offer. I am not the best at getting out what I want to say;which explains why I don't reply to many threads.I am here but lurking quietly. I am so touched you would want to make quilt blocks for my friend. I wish you all knew him. We have such a good time when we are together. He will call me and we will talk for an hour.He would be thrilled to think there are people from all over that came together and made him a quilt. Now with that being said I am not sure how we go about this. I don't even know where to get started.I own an older model long arm quilter but have never really practiced enough to actually say I feel comfortable enough to quilt on it. I can tack it for sure. If someone whose done this " coming together and making blocks for someone special" thing please let me know how to get it going. I know he would love it. I know his interests are country...ex:: cowboy hats,cowboy boots,horses,denim,country music, beagle dogs and I will have to hint around for other likes.I don't think he has ever ridden a horse but he is into the whole western theme.With school ending in 7 days I will have plenty of time to get it together. Somebody... Anybody please private message me and tell me what to do.
    Thank you guys so much.
    Hugs
    Rhonda

You can read his story by going to :

www.tribunecourier.com
    Last edited by RFREE; May 9th, 2012 at 11:03 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What a kind suggestion!

I would love to help, and I have cowboy fabric, let me know what you want to do. What about doing a big block quilt, with blocks of cowboy fabrics, or a rag quilt with denims, cowboys and bandanas? We could make the blocks, and you could sew them together, no quilting needed. By big block quilt, I'm thinking of either squares with "snowballed corners. Or we could do a big block quilt using half square triangles of cowboy/ horsie fabric. I've made a bunch of them using 8-1/2" squares, sewed on the diagonal 1/4" from the diagonal line then cut to make half square triangles. You can make infinite designs from high contrast half square triangles. Look at my albums to see at least 6or 7 quilts I made using these big block half square triangles. The beauty of these is that they are so easy to construct and put together, I've done my complete queen size tops in an evening. I tacked mine together at the intersections, or stitched in the ditch long the seam lines to quilt them. No sweat about the longarm!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sending you a PM, Rhonda.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a plan to mee .... count me in..just let me know the details.... kellie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

count me in too....and a rag quilt would be quick and easy and no quilting needed

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Count me in too. Thinkin a big block rag quilt, in western theme would be just the ticket. Let me know what u want me to do.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm IN!
    Whatever you decide. We do quilts for work, whenever someone retires. Never washable, because everyone who wants to contribute is given a 12 1/2" square of muslin.
    Some have never known a sewing machine. Well, MOST....
    It's rater rudimentary but MEANIGFUL all the same.
    I'm doing a 'Cancer Warriors' quilt for my friend Tammy, and the response is CRAZY. What a beautiful community!
    Name it, set your plan with ideas and dimensions, and let's see what happens!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in for sure!
    Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
    Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Rhonda, I would be more than blessed to help out if I can.
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Count me in.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*