Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilt from a wedding dress....ideas?

Maybe making a quilt using the dress fabric for applique? Something symbolic of your whole family? Shaping squares of the dress fabric in to butterflies like is suggested for old hankies? Putting photos on the quilt? Good luck with it. Whatever you try, the sentimentality effect will come across and whoever is its recipient, they will love it!
    Cynthia

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So many good suggestions. I would say making something that will not have to be washed a lot. The fabric in some wedding dresses is such that it will not hold up to many washings.

Good luck and be sure to let us know what you decide to make and give us pictures.
    Donna
    MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

Fabric Fanatic

Small town south of the Nation's Capital, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Christening gown!!! When my daughter got married, she chose her own gown, not mine. I had a seamstress take my wedding dress apart (Victorian style dress) and make 2 Christening gowns with bonnets and 2 Ringbearer pillows. I had one Christening gown very frilly with the beading and then added pink ribbon. The other Christening gown was more subdued with 2 vertical rows of lace down the front and alittle beading and finally added the blue ribbon. My daughter has used both Christening gowns, and now has an heirloom to pass down. The ring bearer pillows remain in my cedar trunk, waiting patiently for the next wedding. I still have 3 shoe boxes on the top shelf of my closet, they have scraps of lace, satin and crenoline along with some of the beads, waiting for the day I tackle a crazy quilt.
    If your dreams don't scare you...then they are not BIG enough. DARE TO DREAM!
    Quilting is my Passion, NOT my past time.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I want to tackle a "crazy quilt" but I need to start collecting the laces, silks, velvets, beads, rick rack, etc. for it. I want to do each block as I go along as I think it would be easier for me. I have been reading about it and I am taking a class on Craftsy about it. Good luck to you. Piece and blessings, Vicki

5. Thanks yeeehawterri thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would make a quilt from it and do something memorable on each block- like red roses for the first time he brought you roses, kids names for the children you have together, etc. Something different on each block that represents a special memory of your marriage.
    "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have mine, and intend to make it into a Christening gown someday. For my grandchildren to use.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quilterella View Post
    Christening gown!!! When my daughter got married, she chose her own gown, not mine. I had a seamstress take my wedding dress apart (Victorian style dress) and make 2 Christening gowns with bonnets and 2 Ringbearer pillows. I had one Christening gown very frilly with the beading and then added pink ribbon. The other Christening gown was more subdued with 2 vertical rows of lace down the front and alittle beading and finally added the blue ribbon. My daughter has used both Christening gowns, and now has an heirloom to pass down. The ring bearer pillows remain in my cedar trunk, waiting patiently for the next wedding. I still have 3 shoe boxes on the top shelf of my closet, they have scraps of lace, satin and crenoline along with some of the beads, waiting for the day I tackle a crazy quilt.
    Very good use of the gown!! Indeed.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My DIL had her gown turned into keepsake pillows for her and her 2 daughters. The woman that made it into pillows did a beautiful job incorporating the lace and fabric in a lovely design.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I make a wedding gown I buy enough fabric to make a christening/baptism gown as well. I see that others use their gowns for that as well. I really have no other ideas but agree it is a waste to just have a wedding gown hanging around for nothing.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]