Fabric Fanatic
    • Jul 2010

Turn over technique

what is the best book to buy to learn more about the turn over technique
  • ktbb
    UN-Biased
    • Mar 2010

Re: Turn over technique

not sure what you mean by turnover technique. Do you mean using packs of turnover cuts?

Comment

• Barbara Hancock
      Fabric Fanatic
      • Jul 2010

I want to cut my own fabric not sure what size to cut was wondering if there was a book that gave you institutions

Comment

• Barbara Hancock
        Fabric Fanatic
        • Jul 2010

I have watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWdaK...eature=related
        and would like to cut my own fabric

Comment

• rebeccas-sewing
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2010

A TURNOVER IS A RIGHT SQUARE TRIANGLE. ( My husband's in the background saying you take the hypotenuse...blah, blah, blah... Forget that. I go the sure-fire route for dummies.)

IF YOU'RE TRYING TO MAKE TRIANGLES THE SAME SIZE AS JENNY'S -

1. CUT SQUARES THAT ARE THE SAME SIZE AS ONE SIDE OF THE RIGHT ANGLE OF HER TRIANGLES.

2. CUT THOSE SQUARES IN HALF ON THE DIAGONAL. THAT WILL GIVE YOU TWO TRIANGLES THE SAME SIZE AS JENNY'S.

THE FOLLOWING IS WHAT I WOULD DO IF TRYING TO FIGURE OUT MY OWN SIZES.

1. Decide what size you want your triangles to be. Say you want a 4" half square triangle as an example.

2. Out of paper or scrap fabric cut a 4" square. (You can follow these directions by cutting out your pattern with mat, ruler, and rotary cutter but I like using paper.)

3. Then cut the square in half on the diagonal. You will have two half square triangles.

4. Use one of those triangles as a pattern and draw another triangle (exactly the same) on paper.

5. Draw 1/4" seam allowances on all sides of that triangle and voila. You have an accurate pattern.

6. You can also draw out a second triangle with the added seam allowances, put the two together, and see what size square you get.

7. You can cut strips out that are the same size as the dimension of your square, sub-cut into squares.

8. Cut those squares on the diagonal and you'll get lots of half square triangles depending on how many strips you sub-cut at one time.

This may sound confusing but take one step at a time and it's really simple. Good luck!!!
          IF YOU'RE TRYING TO CUT SQUARES THE SAME SIZE AS JENNY'S. CHECK TO SEE WHAT SIZE HER TRIANGLES ARE. YOUR WOULD NEED TO CUT SQUARES THAT ARE THAT SAME SIZE AND THEN CUT THEM IN HALF ON THE DIAGONAL.
          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

• rebeccas-sewing
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2010

Barbara,

I just checked the quilt shop and Jenny's triangles are 6." It says that will make 5" squares. To make 6" triangles. Just cut 6" squares in half on the diagonal.
            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

• janislynne
              UN-Biased
              • Apr 2010

Gosh, thanks for all the info. I really was not thinking when I asked about solid black turnovers. It never occurred to me I could CUT MY OWN. DUH !!! LOL
              Thanks again. Math never was was strong subject.

Comment

• janislynne
                UN-Biased
                • Apr 2010

Okay, this one is for Jenny...how much fabric for the border on the Winter Song Stack-n Whack and then I have no more questions. LOL And hopefully will post soon my finished product.

Comment

• newbiequilter
                  Batting Beauty
                  • May 2010

I just watched the video and have a question. It looks like four of the pinwheel spokes go to the edge of the square. Doesn't that mean they will be 'chopped off' when one block is joined to another? It sure doesn't look like the points are missing on Jenny's quilt, so what am I missing?
                  Thanks.

Comment

• jrchapman
                    The Guild President
                    • Sep 2009

When you sew other blocks to the edges you lose the same amount from the top and the side of the block so you don't lose your points.
                    Quilting through the dull times
                    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

• Barbara Hancock
                      Fabric Fanatic
                      • Jul 2010

Thank you all for your replys

Comment

Working...
                      X