Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Length of binding?

Getting ready to bind my first quilt, actually a table runner. I've watched the tutorial and looked at some photos. Does the binding really only need to be the same size as the perimeter of the quilt? My runner is made up of 2 inch squares and I was going to take the left-over material and make more squares end-to-end for the binding. My real question is whether I have to do something at the corners like add extra fabric so that the binding will match as I turn the corner.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Length of binding?

I don't "add" anything to the corners. I do make my binding about 18-24" longer than what I'll need for the quilt so I can have the overlap needed for closing out the binding.
    Michele

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Length of binding?

Quote Originally Posted by newbiequilter View Post
    Getting ready to bind my first quilt, actually a table runner. I've watched the tutorial and looked at some photos. Does the binding really only need to be the same size as the perimeter of the quilt? My runner is made up of 2 inch squares and I was going to take the left-over material and make more squares end-to-end for the binding. My real question is whether I have to do something at the corners like add extra fabric so that the binding will match as I turn the corner.
    Hi,

Here's a link to a video I made on how to make continuos binding for a quilt. Hopefully it will answer your questions! Just click on the little yellow square and the video should start.

continuos binding
    Shawn
    BAILEY'S QUILTING HEADQUARTERS - Superior Quilting Threads!