Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tumbler Quilt Borders

I just finished a charm pack tumbler quilt and want to put a border on it; however! i want to leave the ziggy/zag edge on it! How do i do that? I know it's not done the same as attaching a binding to the ziggy edge, i just don't know how it is done! Would love a video tutorial if you know of one!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tumbler Quilt Borders

I finished a Sand Hills Plums tumbler charm pack quilt just recently and would like to leave that edge also and then border it....thanks for asking the question...can't wait to see the suggestions or maybe a tute!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I you check jenny's video tutorial on scalloped borders,,, it might give you some ideas.... you'll need to "sort of miter" all the in's and outs im guessing...
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

i actually have seen the scalloped borders tute, but i dont think it is as intricate as these inside angles on the tumbler - but thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't you add a 1/2 of a tumbler in your border fabric to the end of each row? Then you could attach whatever you want to make the border wider with a straight strip of fabric? I'm intrigued with the concept of the tumbler quilt, just haven't gotten around to doing one, and want to know this myself. I'm not into the in and out kind of sewing, that sounds like it would end up as a nightmare for me! I looked in my ruler box and found I purchased both sizes of tumbler templates, so I'd better get on the stick and make a couple of tumbler quilts to justify buying the templates!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

thanks again - i've actually seen a tumbler done w/adding the little triangle to give it a straight edge, but i can't say i really like the look of that. looked a little "make-shift" - if that's the only option, then i'd orobably just cut the tumbler straight away.
    somewhere i saw a pic of a tumbler with the added border on it's own - it looked so cool!

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I recently saw a tutorial for finishing a hexagon quilt without cutting the border straight. The site is badskirt.blogspot.com/2010/05/tutorial-finishing-you-hexie-quilts.html. You basically make a mirror imagine with your outside edge then sew right sides together and turn. If this worked for the uneven border of a hexie quilt I wonder if it might work for your tumbler quilt. Hope this helps. If you have trouble with web site let me know. Not to computer savvy.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to hear an answer to your question from someone. I will make a tumbler quilt then. Maybe, if I understand you right, you just need to make bias binding and lots of it as you will be going in and out of corners, etc. when you finish this quilt. Is that what you are talking about, lulu? Piece and blessings, Vicki

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did a tumbler quilt, a picture you can see in my album. And I made a strip of tumblers in white, attaching top and bottom. Then cut the strip in half and attached the halfs on each side of the quilt. This way you keep the zigzag edges.
    Last edited by Lenie; April 23rd, 2012 at 06:33 PM.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

nope, not the binding, an actual border! i get how to put a binding on those angles and zigs/zags, just trying to figure out and few inch border to put on before the binding! :-)
    Last edited by lulu; April 23rd, 2012 at 11:55 PM.