Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tumbler Quilt Borders

okay, i looked at that site - great idea! but! that's putting hexies on hexies. I want to add a border right to the ziggy edge, so it looks as if the zigs and zags go into the border i would attach. then THAT border would be leaving a straight edge all around to attach a binding to.
    i know, i must be nuts!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

looks great lenie, but that would be pretty much just like cutting the ziggy sides off the quilt top as it is now. but at least yours does have a border! gettin closer!!!!! lol!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you find the solution, and if it's ready, you want to share it with us. I'm looking forward to that.

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope I can get this explained well enough for you to understand. And HOPE this is the look you were wanting.

1. do a row of tumbling blocks to mirror your last row.
    2. sew that row onto your quilt top.. right sides together.
    3. turn and press, do clip the edges where needed to make it all lay flat. Makes a finished edge all around your quilt..or on just 3 sides.. YOU choose.
    4. Mark the center line of your tumbler blocks.. where you will attach the next row.
    5. Sew your border onto the "center" line of your tumbler.. with both fabrics facing up.

This will leave a flap of fabric that is finished off where you join your border to the quilt top. If you wish to tack it down or just leave it as is.. that is another option.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Judy, you beat me to the punch; this is basically what I was going to suggest.

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denis View Post
    Judy, you beat me to the punch; this is basically what I was going to suggest.
    Yeah, that thing with "Great Minds think alike" must be working overtime today. LOL

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I need to make a tumbler quilt to understand this thread lol Have plenty of boy fabrics so maybe it's time!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

OK, do you want the edge(where the binding will attach)to be straight but the zigzags to look as they are going into it?
    If so I would cut enough tumblers from your border fabric so you can begin and end each row with one. trim the outside edges and attach the top and bottom borders. The sides will not be a one piece border but should look like it.
    Not sure if this method is really worth attemting since the top is already finished but you could try it for the next one.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I found a tutorial on uTube called Finishing Quilt Edges Marci Baker of Alicia's Attic that you may want to try...I think I will use it to finish my tumbler quilt...I hope this helps

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fairly new to quilting and still learning but what about using your tumbler template and cutting your border into tumblers like the quilt and then straight edge the border before binding