Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help, I can't think of what it's called

Hi everyone. I haven't been on much this week as I have been hard at work getting things ready for a local boutique that will be selling some of my things. I am nervous as heck but excited too! I have most everything under control, I just need to get started on certain items but I'm stuck when it comes to one of the requests. I need to find a tutorial for those pot holder thingies that are for the skillet handles but I can't for the life of me think of what they are called? I'm thinking just wing it and give it a shot, I mean it seems pretty simple? But, just in the off chance that someone here can help, I thought I'd post about it?
    Angela Lashley - Studio Bella Rose

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help, I can't think of what it's called

I went surfin the net and the only thing I could find was handle sleeve - sounds good to me! Enjoy! ,Kathy

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kathy, handle sleeve sounds good to me! Now maybe I can find a tute on it?...lol

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you know what to do if you can't find a tute? Here's what I'd if I was going to make them. I'd quilt some fabric using insul-bright as the batting (diamond pattern, squares, whatever), and cut out that long u-shape. I'd serge the ends, turn them under 1/2" and topstitch." Put right sides together and sew all the way around leaving the end open. Turn it and top-stich. The only question I'd have is how long and how wide to cut the shape so it's universal. I'd probably pull out a bunch of my pots and pans and measure them to see and add 2'' to the width and length for ease, hem at the top, seam allowances and top stitiching. I'd consider putting some binding around the edges instead of top-stitching but I'd be afraid it would be hard on such a small item. I'd probably try it on one and see if I was successful. I might add addtional length to the binding to turn into a loop on one side so it could be hung on a hook. Definitely, making a practice one would be the way to go if you can't find a pattern. I used to have one of those pot-handle sleeves many years ago. All my pots and pans have handles that don't get hot so it disappeared somewhere along the way.

Show us a picture when you get them made I'd like to see what you ended up doing to make them.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; April 20th, 2012 at 04:13 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

After giving it some more thought, I'd put wrong sides together, sew a 1/4" seam and add binding. I think it would work just fine. Gosh, now I want to make some. Those would make great hostess gifts along with a couple of pretty pot holders. Gotta tuck that one away in the memory bank! Don't forget some pretty dish towels!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

http://sewing.about.com/od/homedecpr...epotholder.htm OR
    http://lipstickandlaundry.blogspot.c...alakk-pot.html

here is one potholder. Rebecca gave some good directions, though! I make them all the time. My favorite kitchen accessory since I use my iron skillets for everything on top of the stove or in the oven.
    Last edited by Blondie; April 20th, 2012 at 07:07 AM.
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Those look alot simpler than what I was proposing!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My Auntie keeps me supplied with panhandlers and I use them not only for my cast iron skillet handles but I also use one for storing my curling iron. They're a nifty item!

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ladies your input has been most helpful! I use insul-brite already on my regular pot holders, so I already have some on hand, I will give these ideas a try and will deffy post pics when I'm done!