Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pre shrinking

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default pre shrinking

Hi all, I'm new to quilting though I do sew. I always pre-shrink my fabrics before cutting. I was wondering if I should pre-shrink my batting? I'm starting a new project (just a matress cover for a king size waterbed) using white warm and natural. Should I soak it in hot water and line dry or just leave it as it is? I'm making this to practice how to free motion quilt, it's going to be under the sheet so it will not be seen. Any advise will be appreciated.

Diane

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: pre shrinking

I say no way! My favorite thing about quilts is how they look crinkly and loved after you wash them once they're quilted. I assume that's from the batting shrinking. But if you don't like the crinkly look I guess you could try it? I never have though.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have never heard of pre-washing the batting...only the fabric...so I would say no way too. I don't even pre-wash my fabric.......but shhhhh...don't tell anyone!
    Michele

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shell.scraps
    I don't even pre-wash my fabric.......but shhhhh...don't tell anyone!
    hehe, me neither!

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ladies! I too love the crinkly look! I don't like to use fabric without washing it though....Okay, Okay, I have to confess I love the smell of the cotton when I iron it, so I always wash it I wasn't looking forward soaking the batting so I won't do it. Oh yeah the ironing I like to do is JUST fabric not garments (unless it's construction ironing!)

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I enjoy ironing fabric too. When Natalie and I were ironing the 12 million fat quarters for the shop I thought it would be horrible but I found it therapeutic... but clothes.... NO WAY!

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Misty
    You know, I enjoy ironing fabric too. When Natalie and I were ironing the 12 million fat quarters for the shop I thought it would be horrible but I found it therapeutic... but clothes.... NO WAY!

:mrgreen:

I love working with freshly ironed fabric....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Michele

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm thats good to know! I'm new to this too and I am just loving this site and the videos and everything!! I am in the process of making my son a flannel I-spy quilt (the flannel was on sale, that's why I chose it). I washed it once on warm and dried it on low and cut it up. To my horror, I read somewhere that you should prewash flannel twice on hot...I'm scared to piece my stuff together now...are there any rule of thumbs that you've come across when working with flannel?

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

You will be fine! Piece away. Quilting is much more forgiving that people make it sound. I have made tons of flannel quilts and I generally don't prewash. Now if I am doing something with bright red fabric and white or something like that I would prewash to make sure the colors don't run. If you buy good fabric the dye should be set and you shouldn't have any problem. I too like a crinkly quilt!
    I am getting ready to make an I spy quilt how are you doing yours?