Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pre shrinking

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: pre shrinking

I have also made several rag quilts out of flannel and they are NOT prewashed on porpuse so that they can ravel later!
    Let me know how you do!

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

did I just write porpuse????? I meant purpose

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

O whew!! Thanks! Needed that reassurance. I found this pattern online: http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projects- ... spy_1.html
    I got the red, dark blue, light blue, and green backgrounds in flannel. I'm having a hard time finding flannel prints that match these colors though ( I have 4 so far...need 16)...so I think I will just go with cotton prints for the rest of them.
    How do you know what's "good" flannel? I think I have an idea, because one of the prints I got is really nice and thick, and sturdy and the others are more limp, but they were all the same price.
    I had to look up what a rag quilt is ... all this new terminology. it looks really cool! Maybe I"ll try something like that too! What's the plan for your quilt?

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

How do you tell good flannel??Really it is by feeling it. You will get used to companies and brands, but mostly I feel my fabric....doesn't everyone?
    On my "I spy" I was thinking I would border the squares and put them together with a sashing. The pattern you are doing looks really fun. Are you going to machine or hand applique?

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

that sounds really nice I've been using hand applique. I think I'll try to give the machine a try, but for now its just by hand. I really hope my 2 yr old will like it!

The Guild President

Searching for inspiration :) in other words... I'm here!
    Post Thanks / Like

That is really cute I love the little magnifying glasses! So fun! Perfect for a 2 year old but I think even my 7 year old would love it! That's gonna be something that can be loved for a long time
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I have pre-washed fabrics for some projects and not for others. I definitely would not, and never will probably, pre-wash my pre-cuts. They are too small and never come out of the dryer straight and clean cut. I like the look of a perfectly pressed quilt or wallhanging. It all depends on the look you are shooting for, to me.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liviamarie3
    O whew!! Thanks! Needed that reassurance. I found this pattern online: http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projects- ... spy_1.html
    I got the red, dark blue, light blue, and green backgrounds in flannel. I'm having a hard time finding flannel prints that match these colors though ( I have 4 so far...need 16)...so I think I will just go with cotton prints for the rest of them.
    How do you know what's "good" flannel? I think I have an idea, because one of the prints I got is really nice and thick, and sturdy and the others are more limp, but they were all the same price.
    I had to look up what a rag quilt is ... all this new terminology. it looks really cool! Maybe I"ll try something like that too! What's the plan for your quilt?
    that quilt looks adorable! I would love to see some pics of it when your done with yours!