Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: border

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Question border

OK Here is the top of my quilt. It drapes over the edge of my queen size bed already without the border. I have a few questions now.... one: how do I select a border? Do i match color and patterns that are already in the quilt? Two: I have watched how to measure and put on the border, but is it really that big a deal? Can't i just sew it on? And three: I know its preference, but how big do I want to make it? Six inches? Should I put a small border then a bigger one on the outside? any suggestions would be greatly appriciated!!!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	date one day ahead cause leap year 228.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	19077Click image for larger version. 

Name:	date one day ahead cause leap year 230.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	19078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	date one day ahead cause leap year 233.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	19079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	date one day ahead cause leap year 227.jpg 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	19076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	date one day ahead cause leap year 226.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	19075Click image for larger version. 

Name:	date one day ahead cause leap year 225.jpg 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	19074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	date one day ahead cause leap year 224.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	19073

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: border

OH MY GOODNESS!! Is this your first quilt? I love this! I'll defer to the more experienced ladies here to answer you questions, I'm just loving this quilt you made. Wow! How long have you been doing this?

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what a beautiful quilt! Im border challenged myself so I'm curious what great advice you will get.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is so pretty! Don't you want it to totally cover your mattress on the sides and foot of the bed? So you could make one wider border or two narrower ones. I made this top and stretched the sides putting on the borders because they are all bias. That is why the measuring is important. I haven't fixed mine yet, it is a UFO put away until I can rip off the borders and do them again. They are so wavy, I don't think I could quilt it like it is now. I guess that is why they say measure. As far as color, I 'd pick out your favorite color from the quilt and combine that with white to make a double narrow border. If you have strips left, you could sew them together end to end, and make one border strip out of that. Just an idea.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Very beautiful quilt!!!

Pam in Vegas

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is beautiful! Both the colors and pattern. Re: boarders, because you might want it longer on your bed, you could put a 2" white sashing strip around and then if you want to get some more of the strips of you fabric, you could do 1/2 of a block and boarder it with that. Another possibility is to use white sashing, find a pattern of fabric that you like from it and order some yardage to match for your boarder. OR just a plan color that brings out your favorite color.
    As far as measuring goes, measure the centers of both sides and use that as your size. Whenever I've not done that, my quilt comes out wavy. Be sure and show us when it's done. : )
    Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

It is absolutely essential that you follow the correct method for measuring and cutting your borders. If you don't you will be totally frustrated and end up ripping it off and re-doing it. It's a quick process. Just measure from the top to bottom through the middle of the quilt, not from the edges. Use that measurement for your side borders. Make sure you pin them in place before sewing them onto the body of the quilt. Once sewn, press them open. Next, measure from the center of the quilt from one side to the other. Use that measurement to cut borders for the top and bottom of the quilt. Pin in place and sew. This will avoid wavy borders. I haven't made this pattern but it sounds like the outside of the blocks is on the bias. That's an even greater reason to do your measuring through the center of the quilt.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You did a wonderful job.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As to the border I would pick my favorite color from the quilt and make a narrow border with that in a solid color. Or use a narrow border of black to make the colors pop. Then use a wider border of white to get the length needed to cover the mattress.
    Beautiful quilt.
    Donna
    MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say your quilt looks beautiful! Follow Rebecca's advice and your borders will lay flat. That's exactly how I do all of mine.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards