Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: batting size

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default batting size

Why do instructions and other quilters tell you to cut the batting bigger than the quilt top? Several of us are new at this and haven't finished quilting our pieces yet, and the extra batting and backing gets in the way.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: batting size

You need to cut the batting *and* the backing about 4" (all around) bigger than your top. This allows for any distortion that happens when you are quilting the quilt. It also gives you extra "fudge" room to square everything up when you are done. I also like to leave a little extra on my edges so when I bind I have batting in my binding.
    Michele

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It also helps if your quilt top isn't quite square (mine quite often end up as parallelograms). The extra round the edges can take up any wonkiness
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newbiequilter View Post
    Why do instructions and other quilters tell you to cut the batting bigger than the quilt top? Several of us are new at this and haven't finished quilting our pieces yet, and the extra batting and backing gets in the way.
    If you are planning on putting it on a frame either for hand or machine quilting you need that extra batting (and backing) to attach it to the system. Nothing worse than almost being finished quilting to discover that you're 1" short on batting!
    Shawn
    BAILEY'S QUILTING HEADQUARTERS - Superior Quilting Threads!