Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie needs advice on choosing backing

Hi! Iím trying to choose the backing for my second quilt. My favorite fabric has a cream background with gray flowers. The front is several shades of floral fabrics with black, grey, taupe, and cream. I plan on using a black binding. My second choice is a taupe floral that is 108 inches wide. So, I guess Iíd like an opinion on whether or not a darker fabric is best? Or should I go with my fav even though Iíd need to seam the back. I read somewhere that a lighter color may show more mistakes. Not sure if thatís true or not. TIA!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newbie needs advice on choosing backing

Hello and welcome to the Forum from the Basque Country, regarding your support it is difficult to give an opinion without seeing a photo, but I think you should like that you are doing the work and it does not matter if your back is rebuilt, regarding the colors, the dark ones show less

3. Thanks jhockman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I usually choose a backing that has a pattern so my many mistakes don't show. I don't think dark or light makes as much difference as having a pattern does.
    I just made a quilt using flannel as the back, it is part plaid and part almost solid denim look and the quilting doesn't show at all on the plaid but really shows up a lot on the denim look flannel.

5. Thanks jhockman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I seek the easiest, so take my advice with a grain of salt. If I can find a backing I donít need to sew, I choose it.

7. Thanks jhockman thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I often choose a backing that will hide the quilting-so mistakes while FMQ or crooked lines while straight line or SITD quilting won't show as much. So, if I plan on using a light colored thread on top I use the same thread on bottom and will choose a lighter backing, if I plan to quilt with darker thread, I choose darker backing.
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

9. Thanks jhockman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think if any mistakes on your quilting will show up or not depends more on the color of your thread and if the thread is the same color as the backing. And I agree a printed backing is more forgiving. A backing wide enough that you don't have to piece would be a little less fussy, but piecing a back is actually not that much work so don't be afraid. It's not hard like (for me) putting a zipper in something lol.

11. Thanks jhockman thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help everyone!