Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baby clothes input please!

Well,,, i am beyond HAPPY!!! I am going to be a GG in August!
    I would be thrilled to get some input about sizes to purchase and make for a new baby! I live in MA (New England climate).... want to buy some gowns, rompers onsies.. and things to help out in the first year. If someone can suggest what is best to begin and how to increase the sizes... that would be great! I don't know any young Mothers i can ask and neither of my own have had their own children.... Now you can see why I am doing the Happy Dance GB
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Baby clothes input please!

Congratulations! My oldest daughter just had a baby girl and to tell you the truth she got FLOODED with clothes. I think I would spend my time on special things like baby's first Christmas and Halloween etc. My dd was the happiest with a baby's 1st Christmas ornament with a name on it. lol

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite gift to new babies is a crib sized quilt. I also make flannel blankets. I hem 1 yd. cuts using the WOF. It makes a nice sized blanket -- bigger than store bought ones. I also make burp cloths. A FQ works great. Just stitch up 3 sides, RST, leaving the end open, turn right side out, then fold under & hem. I stitch all the way around. If you buy clothes, buy larger sizes that the baby can grow into. My first son weighed 9 lb. 5 oz. He barely wore those 0-3 mos. sizes. He quickly moved into 12 mos. sizes. All those little sized clothes were like new when his bro. came along.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like useful things. I raised 5 kids and have 1 granddaughter. I would make quilts and burp rags. You go through tons of burb rags. Shabby fabrics has a wonderful tutorial. Let others buy clothes and buy the other stuff. Diapers are a huge expense. If they will be putting the baby in daycare I bought rubber labels customized for the bottles too. Can never have enough onsies...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'd buy a special three month outfit, maybe for Christmas holidays....oh, and make a matching/coordinating quilt!

Other than that, I'd buy nine months and one year for the following spring/summer.

Congrats!

ps - I like wrapping the gifts in receiving blankets...you can never have enough of those!
    Last edited by bubba; February 13th, 2020 at 11:37 PM.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by LauraP; February 13th, 2020 at 11:50 PM.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

7. Thanks quiltingaway thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LauraP View Post
    If she is going to nurse make her a couple of these.

https://craftbits.com/project/breast...nursing-cover/
    Yes, my dd loves using those! Another great thing for mom is nursing tops. It's hot here so her sister bought her a tank style,but there is warmer styles too. It's two layers in the front with the top layer just to under the breast. I couldn't breast feed, but that would of been my choice. Mom needs some love too

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, GrammaBabs! I like to make swaddling cloths out of double gauze (Rob from Man Sewing has a tutorial). Sure, you only swaddle the baby when it's a newborn, but the swaddling cloth can also be used to drape over a stroller or to cover up while nursing. Hooded towels and bibs can be used for a long time. And you can always use burp cloths.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!! Nothing better than a new baby! My daughter received tons of newborn sizes. She appreciated things in the next size rage.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I normally always give the new parents a gift certificate from J.C. Penney's photo department.
    If I decide not to do that, I purchase larger sized clothing such as 24 months-2 T, sweatpants, leggings if it's a little girl, sweater, sweatshirts, etc.
    I never by anything newborn, 0-3 months or every 9 months. People gift a new couple with newborn or 0-3 sizes and unless the new mom dresses the baby in cute outfits every day (I did because my DH didn't drive due to an illness) and I always put a new outfit on them after their afternoon nap so that when we went to pick up "Daddy" from his job, the kids were all dressed etc.
    A lot of people don't put outfits on a baby for the first 0-9 months other than sleepers unless things have changed a lot.
    Congrats on the new baby coming!
    Enjoy!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HUGS 1.gif 
Views:	2 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	162774

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"