• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JulieC
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2016

Jenny's All Stars Block of the Month

I saw the announcement Tuesday for Jenny's new All Stars block of the month. What did you think of it? It is $21.95 a month for 11 months, $241.45 total. Not sure if that includes shipping.

Personally, it's not my style. I'm curious to hear your opinion. What did you think of the quilt? Do you love it or hate it? Will you be subscribing? Be sure to post pics if you do! Here's a link to more info: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...k-of-the-month.

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 6.49.40 AM.jpg
  • SuzanneOrleansOntario
    Missouri Star
    • Aug 2015

Re: Jenny's All Stars Block of the Month

I've learned not to subscribe to BOM, as I know I will not make them. For me, this is expensive as I have to add roughly 35-40% extra for money exhange. It's not my style.
    Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• JCY
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2013

I personally don't care for the pattern. I know I can't commit to something like that. Also, that's pretty pricey. A person could do their own BOM using many of the free patterns on the web. Quilter's Cache has dozens of free block patterns, as does M* & others.

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2014

I don't care for the pattern either. It feels too modern for my tastes, but I'm sure there will be many who love it. I would imagine the price does not include shipping.

Jeanne

Comment

• Sharyn J
          Missouri Star
          • Oct 2012

It's not my style and it's pretty expensive. Agree with Joy that there are plenty of free BOM patterns.

Comment

• KPH
            Missouri Star
            • Feb 2015

I haven't heard all of the details, or checked in to it too much because that price tag per month isn't working for me.

All of the stars are from previous tutorials, so you can find all of the blocks pretty easily. The challenge would be putting it together.

I wondered if that included the quilting. She made a quick comment about packing it up for quilting, but I didn't go back and play that part again.

It's a no for me. The color way, shipping for each box, the price per month- and what's in those tiny boxes doesn't seem like a really good value, and I have enough on my plate right now anyway.
            Katrina
            From NC, retired in FL
            “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Caroline T.
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2016

From the Block of the Month FAQ:

"Your credit card will automatically be charged each month when that portion of the kit is shipped, including a low, $5 monthly shipping charge. We accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover". So add another $55 to the cost.

But they do also indicate you'll receive 10% off quilting service for this quilt, for some that would be nice, for others not a benefit.

I personally am not interested in Block of the Month subscriptions. I can't imagine having to wait a month for each block. I may have UFO's waiting to quilt, but I don't like having multiple piecing projects in progress sitting around. "Git 'Er Done" is my motto!!!

And the cost of any type of subscription IMO is way over priced, whether it be a BOM, Fruit of the Month, or Men's shaving club.

Comment

• redcaboose1717
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2011

I'm with Joy on this.....Thanks for the info about GOM's too Joy!
                I don't do monthly things such as book clubs/yarn crafts/paper crafting.....I did try doing a square of the month club at a shop near where I live, and I thought I would really like doing it, not to mention that the monthly charge was $4 per month for each BOM Square.
                So if I can't get something like this done for $4 per month, I wouldn't do this on a more expensive scale either.
                Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• 201 Treadler
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2018

shock there is a men's shaving club!!! ?

due to import customs charges, it makes this out of my price range.
                  perhaps a different* digital bom pattern would be useful to get round the import custom, and postage issues.
                  Am also not keen on the mustard colour fabric, that seems to be 'in' at moment, again, so sorry, if it is your favourite colour.

*different because mentioned above most blocks are already freely available.
                  🧵Treadler from UK 👋

Comment

• blusk
                    Administrator
                    Block Queen
                    • Aug 2019

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Since this will also be a bit of a quilt-along with videos for each new star, you can absolutely still participate in the colors of your choice and your own fabric stash. We're hoping that, even if you don't subscribe to the Block of the Month, you'll still join with us in enjoying the quilting.

Comment

• Monique
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
                      I've learned not to subscribe to BOM, as I know I will not make them. For me, this is expensive as I have to add roughly 35-40% extra for money exhange. It's not my style.
                      I am with Suzanne on the extra $$ exchange. I personally don't like the quilt and I just don't have the $$ to spend on this.
                      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• TMP
                        Missouri Star
                        • Apr 2014

I am sure they probably did marketing research and there is a market for this but, its not for me either. I do the free block of the week or month quilt blocks. I get to pick out my own fabric and I just print out the instructions. I think I have learned a lot doing these and enjoy them.

I am not real fond of the monthly clubs. I have gotten several as gifts from my family. I think it might be more of a younger generation thing because my daughter and her family loves this sort of thing. My sister gave my daughter one for bacon, two years in a row now. She loves getting bacon from all over the US. She has one for the kids that I can't remember the name of that has to do with snacks from around the world. They get excited when it comes and sit down as a family and try them. They look at a map of the country and talk about it.

I wish them luck with this but I wont be participating.
                        Last edited by TMP; February 12, 2020, 04:14 PM.
                        Teresa
                        Pelham, Alabama
                        War Eagle!!!

Comment

• shermur
                          Missouri Star
                          • Mar 2013

Being a modern quilter....I love the pattern. The only difference I would have made, since the cost is what it is....there should have been a consideration of more than one fabric palette choice.
                          Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

• Rhonda K
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jan 2017

The pattern and colors aren't my style. I have done other BOM kits depending on the projects.

Two local shops offer BOM events at their stores. They are typically 12 blocks and you pay $10 for the first block. As long as you bring in the completed block each month at next months meeting, the future BOM project is free. You complete a whole quilt top for $10 if you like.
                            Just one more stitch...

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                              Missouri Star
                              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by TMP View Post

My sister gave my daughter one for bacon, two years in a row now. She loves getting bacon from all over the US. She has one for the kids that I can't remember the name of that has to do with snacks from around the world. They get excited when it comes and sit down as a family and try them. They look at a map of the country and talk about it
                              Now, that would be my kind of monthly subscription. YOu had me at BACON.
                              Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Working...
                              X