• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • horsechick1
    Shiny Thimble
    • Jan 2020

New Machine Quilter from Harrisburg PA

Hello,

I was a former hand piecer and quilter. Had a stroke 4 years ago and doing well, however, I am machine piecing my current queen size quilt and would like to machine quilt it, also. I have a Janome Memory Craft 10000 and would like to purchase a home long arm quilting machine. I am not sure if I need a 12 or 16 inch arm or what machine is preferred for home. Can you help me, please?
  • NancyH
    The Guild President
    • Apr 2014

Re: New Machine Quilter from Harrisburg PA

Hello Horsechick1 and welcome to the forum. I am sure you will enjoy the forum. Many nice and helpful people here. I cannot answer your question, but I am sure someone can.

I noticed you are from Harrisburg, PA. I am about 40 minutes from Harrisburg near Carlisle/Newville area. Nice to see a local here. Good luck with your long arm quilting. Don't forget to post pictures of your work for all of us to enjoy.
    Nancy

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      Missouri Star
      • Aug 2015

Welcome HorseChick1 to the forum from Canada.

I guess it depends on the space you have and how many quilts that you plan on doing. I have a HandiQuilter Sweet 16. It's a sit down long arm, so you move the quilt sandwich across the table ( I have extensions both sides). I also have a bungee system to take the weight off when I quilt large ones, but normally I rarely use. I use rulers and do free motion quilting. I have also used stencils and plan to use tear away patterns. I didn't purchase stitch regulator,but find that with practice my stitches are now even. If I was buying another, I might look at the HQ Capri which has the stitch regulator in the table.

When I have a large queen or king to quilt, I rent a long arm at my LQS, a HQ Amara and do pantographs. The cost of renting per day is not worth buying and sacrificing a room in our house. Do your research. If you have LQS that can offer service and lessons, this is worth the money. Good luck on your decision.
      Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• Bubby
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2011

Hi and welcome to the forum from Missouri. Glad you joined us.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• geegeequilts
          Missouri Star
          • Jan 2015

Hello from the sunny South (at least for today). I tell all newcomers that this is the best forum. Got a question? You'll get answers. Have something to share? Well, we love that!!

Welcome!

Gina

Comment

• JCY
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2013

Welcome from Colorado ~ I have the Baby Lock Tiara II (there now is a III model). It's similar to the Handi-Quilter. It's a sit down table long arm. I have the table extension only on the L. side. It has a 16" throat. Since I already had been FMQ on my DSM, I did not buy the stitch regulator, which costs extra. I've never quilted anything larger than a large lap size on it. Many of the quilts I make are crib size. For large quilts -- which I seldom make -- I still pay a LAer to quilt them. You can view the machine in my Sewing Room Album.

You might want to watch Angela Walters' short video on her website, Quilting Is My Therapy, entitled "3 Things to Consider When Purchasing a Longarm." It's only ~3min. long.
            Last edited by JCY; January 30, 2020, 11:55 AM. Reason: Additional Info.

Comment

• CraftyJnet
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2015

Hello and Welcome! from California.

Jeannette

Comment

• MRoy
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2011

The Grace Co. has the Q'nique quilter with 14", 15", 19" & 21" models. They also manufacture the Block-Rockit machine sold by Kathy Quilts.
                *~* Myrna *~*
                *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• horsechick1
                  Shiny Thimble
                  • Jan 2020

Thanks! Cold here.

Comment

• horsechick1
                    Shiny Thimble
                    • Jan 2020

Thank you so much!

Comment

• horsechick1
                      Shiny Thimble
                      • Jan 2020

I have tried to find this video, but couldn’t. Can you send me the link? Thanks so much!

Comment

• 201 Treadler
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7qTxPQD-KM Angela Walters who happens to sell them.

welcome to the forum,
                        heres Leah day
                        Buying a longarm is so confusing! What should you be thinking about when buying this type of machine and what the heck is a Midarm? Read more here: https://l...

there is a q frame available for smaller spaces, think someone did a you tube on construction.
                        showing how to load a quilt
                        Learn how to load a quilt on a Grace Continuum longarm quilting frame in this video with Leah Day. Read more here: https://leahday.com/blogs/machinequilting/...

learnt last month that bernina do a machine that allows twin needle.
                        wishing you the best in finding your perfect machine.
                        T
                        Last edited by 201 Treadler; February 1, 2020, 04:39 PM.
                        🧵Treadler from UK 👋

Comment

Working...
                        X