• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlie Wolf
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2013

small half square triangle

I did a lot of these a few years ago and now I don't remember how I did the block. Using a charm pack I can do the hst. (2 squares right sides together, draw a triangular line and then stitch 1/4" on both sides, cut down the middle). Thing is those would be double the size I want. I need them to be half that size before I then arrange and sew 4 pieces together to form the blocks I want. :-(

So I was thinking maybe it was quarter square triangles I had made. 4 of the arranged squares come out as a 4 34| square block. I can't seem to find the tutorial on how to make that block. I remember there were two ways I could do that (or thought I could) but sometimes I picked the wrong one :-( Each individual square would be 2 1/2 inches.

Anyone know what I'm trying to explain and where there is a link to the tutorial? I've looked through Jennys and a bit on utube but I'm not finding what I'm looking for. Must be a Senior moment or minute or hours :-/
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.
  • MSN
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2017

Re: small half square triangle

This website has instructions for making QSTs two different ways.

Our beginner quilt block patterns are the key to almost every pieced block. Learn many ways to make them with our tutorials, patterns. Download multi-size cutting charts. Aim for accuracy today!

Comment

• DeniseSm
      Missouri Star
      • Nov 2013

Is it Jennys method where she sews around all four outside sides and then cuts diagonal through both corners? From a 5 " charm pack that would give 4 HST on the bias that you could trim down to 2.5". If you finger press it open before you press it open with the iron this method is pretty accurate and it is really quick.

Search term might be four at a time HST or maybe sew around the outside edge HST

Here is a picture tutorial of the two at time, four at a time, and eight a time methods

Half-square triangles are one of the most versatile units in quilting and these tutorials and size charts will help you achieve the accuracy you need!
      Last edited by DeniseSm; January 26, 2020, 07:28 PM.
      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• Deegles
        Missouri Star
        • Oct 2014

You are on the right track. If you go corner to corner both directions making an x in the middle, you will be on the right track with cutting. This would require you to sew around the perimeter with right sides together. I think this is called the magic 8?
        Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• jjkaiser
          Missouri Star
          • Oct 2013

If you have the M app I think you are looking for the Four Seasons. There is a full video plus a quilt snips version. You don't draw the line you put RST of two 5 inch squares, sew 1/4 inch on all four sides then cut apart two directions in an X. Hope this is the right one.
          Jocelyn
          South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2013

Yes, now I remember. It was the one where you stitch 4 sides on the outside and then did the diagonal cuts!!

Thank you. :-) Such smart girls!
            https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
            Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Working...
            X