Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scrap storage

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scrap storage

Question for those of you who keep scraps by color, or maybe some other way. I am curious of what size bins do you use to store these. I have been storing mine by color. My bins are 9x12x3 and some colors are bursting, others are almost full. Is it time for me to just start doing something with them or do you think my bins just may be too small? I'm sure we are all different , but I have been "cleaning up" my sewing room for about 3 hours now and it's beginning to be overwhelming. And then I wonder will I ever do something with these scraps? why do I keep them, etc. etc. ? Maybe I just have too much "stuff". (and yes, I do have a bag for recycle for a friend who uses tiny pieces to stuff dog beds.)

OK, I'm done venting with myself, but it is a serious question. I think it's time to go read a book, for something different.

2. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scrap storage

Karen I've cut up my scraps into small squares and have been making 16 patches with them and I store the finished ones in a box. When I have enough I will make a Scrappy quilt with them, and put some solid fabric between the blocks. Maybe an x and o look quilt.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

4. Thanks VintageGalAnnie, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think if they are stored somehow like flat so you can see what you have in a glance you are much more likely to use your stash. Mine I wrap around old manilla file folders ripped in half then folded to about 7x9 then in a filing cabinet. I have them stored by color. The only thing I have loose in a bin is opened jelly rolls and they are quite a jumbled mess but every time I go to look for strips they get way messed up from my pawing through so I have stopped wasting my time folding, ironing, sorting them. There's so many storage options to consider you just have to think hard what would work best for you. Because organizing your stash is a lot of work but worth it in the end. It also helps if you can purge your stash once in awhile and donate or give away fabric you no longer like or pretty sure you will not use. Like anything you have had for 2 or 3 years, you probably will not use. Good luck. It is kind of like cleaning out your closet or dresser, you have to wait until you are in the mood to get rid of stuff!

6. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I still just put the odds and ends from project in a big tub. When I first started making charity quilts I would dig thru my scraps and make quilts for the bins that were full. But now that I make lots of quilts and have a time to acquire lots of fabric my scrap bins just get fuller because I start with new fabric just about every time. I hope to challenge myself to make up some scrap quilts before I bury my self with all I have.
    I just need to sew faster, maybe I will head to my sewing room now.

8. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've been trying to go through and figure out what I want to do with my scraps. There are a lot of fabrics that were given to me, that I just can't figure out what to do. I'm seriously thinking about doing a crazy quilt with them.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

10. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a 10-drawer rolling cart from Bed Bath & Beyond - it was on sale, so I figured it was time, lol.

Before, I just stuffed scraps in a drawer and a few times a year I'd spend a day iron & cutting them into strips or squares (ive got hundreds of fkying geese, and hundreds and hundreds of 4-patches that I've made from scraps and used as leaders/enders.) BUT I never seem to have the **just right** size or amount for something so I wind up buying more fabric lol.

So now, I'm going to start sorting by color and then, when I can't shove anymore in, I'll decide what I want to make, and cut that size and either toss remainder in crumbs pile or the trimmings bin (I keep them to stuff pillows, etc,).

If you're ready to start using yours up, I highly recommend any of Bonnie Hunters quikts.

12. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago I cut mine into different sizes that I thought I would use. I put them in those clear plastic shoe boxes and stacked them in the closet. Most of them are still there. I found the only ones I really ever use are the 2.5 inch strips. I make scrappy Jenny's Summer in the Park with those. I have one on my bed now and I think I have made five of them. I keep a basket under my cutting table and throw my scraps in. When the basket gets full I just cut them into strips and store them in a clear shoe box. I don't mess with cutting other sizes .

I usually use white fabric for the backs of my quilts. I found that the excess from the top, bottom and sides cut into 2.5 strips works great for this quilt.
    Last edited by TMP; January 26th, 2020 at 12:47 AM.

14. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

The Quilt Police are coming for me for sure. I bundle mine up, according to what kind of fabric is...dark prints, light prints & so on.., put them in a plastic bag & toss them in a big tote. I organize fabric I use for Christmas, Halloween etc according to the holiday.
    I originally, cut my scraps up too, then found out leaving the scrap in one piece, gave me better use of the fabric.
    I still have baggies of different sized squares that I'll probably never use.
    Kathy

16. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mine are all mixed up in a big plastic bin. Not very efficient but it works because the only thing I use them for is string quilts. I thought about sorting them by color into plastic shoeboxes but have never gotten around to it.
    I have a rule about working with scraps. Anything I trim off goes into the trash...not back into the scrap bin.
    Last edited by chelea; January 26th, 2020 at 03:06 AM.

18. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I store mine in plastic zippered bags like sheets come in, sorted by color except Christmas and those that just don't fall into a "color". I leave them as is because I did make a lot of applique projects and you never know what size you need. They got out of control and one night at guild meeting a member brought some string quilts that she had made. WOW, they were beautiful so I did a bit of internet research and discovered which kind of string block appealed to me and immediately started making string blocks. Working with one color at a time, cut into strips with my rotary cutter and ruler. Just varied between one and 2 inch not precise at all, just get them cut. Bought and cut some super cheap muslin into 10 inch squares, set up my travel machine in my living room, and every time I had a bit of time or was watching tv in the evenings, I sewed up those scraps. I kept them sorted by color so I had yellow blocks, blue blocks, purple blocks....etc. I have since made 2 quilts using only those 10 inch blocks cut to the size I wanted. My scraps are getting out of hand again, so I need to do this again.
    So if you can do a search for string quilts and find one you like, make the string blocks the size you need.
    Here is a picture of mine in progress. I used Edyta Sitar's spool quilt pattern. Never posted a picture before so hope it works.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160219_111103.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	162457