Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default An Eventful Day - A Trip to the Hospital :(

Good Evening, Everyone ~ I was MIA this a.m. due to DH needing to be taken to the ER. We have old intercoms in our BRs (we sleep in different areas of the house), so I heard some static on it this a.m. (no voice) & realized DH was needing help. This was just before 3 a.m. He had been up to the bathroom. With no warning symptoms, he passed out. One minute he was on the commode; the next thing he knew he woke up lying on the floor, wondering why the bed felt so hard. He has no idea how much time elapsed. He had managed to get back in bed & called for help. He was very pale, weak, cool & clammy. I took his B/P, listened to his heart. The rate was very irregular, which was new for him. He hasn't had any cardiac issues. So...I called 911. The fire stn. is barely a mile from us. They arrived quickly. The EKG revealed he was in atrial fibrillation. He was transported via ambulance to the hosp. at 3:30.

I had to get dressed, grab the medical records, lock up the house, etc., so it took a while for me to get to the hosp. I quickly sent off e-mails to family & our church's prayer chain before I left. It was 4:30 when I got to his ER room. He was in diagnostic imaging. They ran blood tests, did CT scans, chest XR, etc. Thank God, no fractures or injury. He's been complaining of stiffness in his neck. He has a few abrasions here & there & got a skin tear on the top of his R. hand. His skin is so fragile. He also must have bit his tongue; there were several small blood blisters along the R. side of his tongue. Since he continued in A-Fib, they admitted him for observation & telemetry monitoring. We got upstairs to a room at 6:45.

When he brushed his teeth after breakfast, one of his top front teeth (#7) fell out! We heard it hit the floor. We finally located it. It broke off at the gum line; it was a previously crowned tooth. Well, if that wasn't a heck of a note. However, all things considered -- better a broken tooth than a broken hip or other bone fracture. Been there, done that 8 yrs. ago when he fell in the back yard & fractured his L. upper humerus in 4 places.

Around noon the nurse reported DH's heart rhythm had converted back to normal sinus rhythm on its own. Thank you, Lord! It remained normal the rest of the day. After all the cardiology consult, Echo., etc. he was cleared to go home. He was discharged at 5 p.m. today. Was he ever a happy camper. He gets to sleep in his own bed tonight.

I took his food to him at noon. There was nothing on the menu he could tolerate. I had come home to get his supper food when he called to let me know he was being discharged. He'll be glad to get back into his daily normal routine. He feels weak, but hopefully each day will be a little better. Prayers would be appreciated.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: An Eventful Day - A Trip to the Hospital :(

So glad to hear there were no broken bones. Definitely be sending prayers up for you and your husband. We find out next week what the projection will be for my dad returning back to the hospital. Finally got stent in his leg and now home to get some strength back. The next decision will be how much of a amputation will be needed on his left foot, one toe for more? It's been a year this month since he lost his lower right leg below the knee.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad your hubby is feeling better now. I do hope they figure out why that happened. Can't just be age. at least i don't think so. It was good you could care for him. my hubby was older than i was and i had to learn to drive to start taking him to Doctors, etc. this was all in Colorado then. things like this give us gray hair! If we don't' have it, we will get it. Hugs(())

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Joy what a heck of a 24 hours you have had!!! You must be exhausted. There is truly no place like home and thank goodness you woke up and got into action mode quickly doing all the right things. You probably saved his life!!!! Take time to rest and please give us an update next week after you get your bearings back. Tell your dh welcome home and everyone on the forum is sending good thoughts his way.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Joy, I am glad to hear that he is fine minus his tooth. Prayers that you both get a good nights rest and back to your normal routine.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sending prayers and a hug for you!

The Guild President

Dewey, Arizona (transplanted Hoosier from Hobart, Indiana)
    Post Thanks / Like

Sending prayers and remember to take care of yourself ...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What an awful day for you two. Glad DH is on the mend so things will get back to normal. Hope you take it easy and get some rest.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers said for you both. I hope he feels much better in the morning.

Jeannette

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lifting prayers for you both. What an experience. Glad you were able to awake with the monitor and get to him. I'm sure he was too.