Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: boB's last two years . . .

dwil23 == you would be surprised how many people with the exact names are out there. doing research is difficult due to this oddity. Been there, done that. same names don't always mean same person. You have a great outlook on this anyway, so that is good. life is too short as it is, right?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We can hear how happy you are. Go forward and embrace your new family. All the stories you two must have to share with each other!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    dwil23 == you would be surprised how many people with the exact names are out there. doing research is difficult due to this oddity. Been there, done that. same names don't always mean same person. You have a great outlook on this anyway, so that is good. life is too short as it is, right?
    That's for sure! It would be kind of neat to meet them.

Although just the unusual name would be enough to convince me - the birthdate/place also matched.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Donna, we had the same thing happen in our family except the two wives found out about each other. The man had two boys, each from a different mother, and named them the same. It so happened that one of the children of wife A got deathly sick and she couldn't get ahold of her husband so she went to the other end of his stretch of the RR line. While there her boy went out to get a job to help. He was hired as a newspaper boy and the first day when the owner was passing out the papers he called the child's name. To his surprise another boy, from wife B, with the same name and who looked like him answered too. They got to talking and put the pieces together. We don't know what happened because there is no further trace of the father. Did he run away or did the two wife's do him in???????
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I am happy for you boB. I watched and read your FB posting about this and I have seen you enjoying this addition to your life. I look forward to seeing you again this year.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LauraP View Post
    Donna, we had the same thing happen in our family except the two wives found out about each other. The man had two boys, each from a different mother, and named them the same. It so happened that one of the children of wife A got deathly sick and she couldn't get ahold of her husband so she went to the other end of his stretch of the RR line. While there her boy went out to get a job to help. He was hired as a newspaper boy and the first day when the owner was passing out the papers he called the child's name. To his surprise another boy, from wife B, with the same name and who looked like him answered too. They got to talking and put the pieces together. We don't know what happened because there is no further trace of the father. Did he run away or did the two wife's do him in???????
    Wow, Laura! What a story!

"Back in the day" people could probably get away with this type of thing much easier. It probably happened waayyy more than anyone suspected. It would be interesting to know what happened to "Dear Old Dad", though.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bob. So nice to see you agajn. I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your brother.

What an awesome story about your sister though. How wonderful that you have such a great relationship now. And she's a quilter to boot!

We have a couple of stories like that in our family too. My first husband's sister had a baby when she was 16 and have her up for adoption. She and the father had no choice. They were both considered minors and my in laws had the final say. The dad's family was open to them keeping the baby but were overruled somehow. Fast forward a few decades and our niece did a search and found my sister in law who had, in later years contacted the adoption agency and gave them permission to give her information to her daughter if she ever searched for her. By then, my in laws had passed away and, sadly, so bad the birth father, Joe. He had died in the 60's in an accident while in the army stationed in Germany. We all got to meet Donna and she is a wonderful part of the family. Joe's grandparents were actually still alive at the time and were absolutely over the moon to be able to have a relationship with their great granddaughter. And a few years later, Donna had a son and named him Joey after her dad.

The other "skeleton" in our family's closet involves my grandmother's sister who it seems had a baby at about 16. The baby is listed in one census living with a different sister and then, in the next census, no longer living with that sister but with the aunt who gave birth to her who was by then married and had a son too. This was never spoken of by my grandmother. We did know there was some sort of secret because of an issue Margie (the baby ) had once with getting her birth certificate for her passport but our grandmother would never talk about it and the other Aunts had already passed away.

I am glad you and your sister found each other.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com