Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with loading quilt

I, I'm new to the blog, so please excuse me if I leave out info or???
    I recently purchased an Amish quilting frame. Its very basic, has three rails. I'm having problems loading the quilt, and getting creases on the backing. the rails are not round, but rectangular, and I think that is the problem. Would love to have suggestions...the only thing I can think of is to have the rails "turned" and made round...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with loading quilt

I dont seem to be having a problem getting it on, it just that the material is creasing along the rail edges...

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I am pulling it tight...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Turning a square rail to be round will probably be expensive. Can you slip a PVC pipe from the hardware store over the rail to make it round? Or how about duct taping a pool noodle over the square rail to make it round?
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If this is a narrow frame you may have to baste before loading. Sounds like the backing fabric has problems with its warp. When you bringthe selvages together of your backing, does it fold neatly in half or does it go wonky? If it goes wonky, it is probably the backing fabric. Is the backing seamed? Sometimes we sew a straight line joining selvages, but the selvages are nottrue. Take some measurement of the backing. Trim as necessary. Ensure frame is level and “bars” are parallel.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/