• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lots2do
    Applique Angel
    • Aug 2015

How can I fake the serpentine stick?

Hi everybody,
    Have you ever seen someone show you an easy way to quilt sonething and then become slightly obsessed with it? That's my experience with the serpentine stitch.
    It’s not in the cards right now to buy a new machine that has this particular stitch so I'm wondering if there’s a way for me to sew one with a regular straight stitch. Maybe make a guide out of freezer paper or contact paper and stitch along that? My brain often finds the complicated ways of doing things so I appreciate your thoughts about this,
    Thank you and Happy Stitches!
    lots2do
  • Hulamoon
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Re: How can I fake the serpentine stick?

I have a love/hate with that stitch too. It's because of my big fancy Cresendo. The walking foot that comes with it is plugged in to a sensor. It won't allow you to do certain stitches without it. I hate this foot. It huge and hard to attach. So I got a regular walking foot and bypassed the sensor. Fancy isn't always better and I never use this machine. That's a whole different story. lol

So I found this for you to check out. A little long but really good

Here's the other one I remembered. #31 days of a walking foot. Check out #9

This website is for sale! petitdesignco.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, petitdesignco.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
    Last edited by Hulamoon; January 16, 2020, 06:02 AM.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• MAMSAN
      Quilting Guru
      • Jul 2019

Hi Lots2do,
      What type of machine do you have? Is it one what you can program the serpentine in to?

Kathy

Comment

• Hulamoon
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2012

A guide bar is really helpful too.

Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• lots2do
          Applique Angel
          • Aug 2015

Thank you !
          I looked at the links which were very helpful. I will practice my own wavy stitches or serpentine. Who know, maybe I’ll like my own versions better than a stitch design from a machine. (Regrettably, The model I own can't be programmed).
          Happy Stitching,

Comment

• 201 Treadler
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2018

Hi
            am afraid its a case of programming yourself with a freemotion foot, or cheating and getting a https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns7JquqREuw
            🧵Treadler from UK 👋

Comment

• lots2do
              Applique Angel
              • Aug 2015

I can try to program myself! But, oh my, I loved that You Tube! I’ve never seen that attachment before- how cool. I’ll have to keep my eyes out for one.
              Oh and thank you!

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2012

What a great attachment! I love how mechanical solutions like this were invented, eventually leading to the computerized robotics that we now have.

This video also took me down memory lane. I inherited my grandmother's sewing machine, which had cams like these to make all sorts of cool stitches like tulips and scottie dogs along with a plethora of utility stitches. It was the last of the mechanical machines before sewing machines were computerized. I loved choosing the cams and doing all the new-fangled stitches! Unfortunately, I had never been taught to oil a sewing machine. This led to the cam machine visiting the repair shop over and over and over (no one at the Singer dealer told me to oil the machine, either, even though I kept bringing the machine in). I also didn't realize that you really had to sew really slowly when using the cams. Eventually the main drive shaft became unusable, and a new, simpler machine entered my life.

What a fun YouTube video to watch!
                Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• 201 Treadler
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2018

oh my goodness, my post, Lots to do, so very sorry, meant in an friendly helpful way, totally terrible wording, hangs head in shame.

Am always amazed at the attachments. there is a picture of most of the active attachments.https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/gallery_attachments/
                  Am stunned how they invented these.

Was once tempted by an https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/306/, but past at last moment, when realised needles, would be not so easy for me to find.
                  such a shame nobody mentioned, Guitar Gramma, thank you for sharing your story.

T
                  🧵Treadler from UK 👋

Comment

• lots2do
                    Applique Angel
                    • Aug 2015

Oh, Treadler, I wasn’t upset one bit by your response. Seemed like a very practical suggestion. Seems as if learning how to do it myself rather than relying on some fancy machine would be much more satisfying.

Comment

Working...
                    X