• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CSMaddox
    Fabric Fanatic
    • Jan 2020

Coolest quilting innovations

I’ve got another question for BLOCK Magazine: Are there any new quilting inventions/innovations that really interest you? Do you use technology as a quilting tool? Is there anything you prefer or miss about old-school quilting? I’d love to hear about it!
  • Simply Quilting
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2013

Re: Coolest quilting innovations

The are several technology items that I use as a quilting tool. One of those is the camera part on my phone or i-pad. Two uses - one is using the monotone so lights, darks and mediums are spread out and the second is taking pictures of the quilt/block before I sew to help keep the blocks/fabric in the correct position. The other technology is the internet and youtube especially Jenny's videos.

As far as missing of old school, I think the biggest thing that I miss about the old school is my grandmas. I remember "helping" them sew, playing under the quilting frame and one of my grandma's hand quilting frame.

Comment

• 201 Treadler
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2018

Am a visual learner so most of my knowledge has been watching then trying, You tubes are very handy.
      we have recently lost the sewing quarter Tv, that is where learnt a beard trimmer is useful for un sewing. himself does not mind removing pink fluff from his mornings grooming routine

Not keen on podcasts, but do not mind a novel read out using the technology, text to speak function while sewing. reading magazines quilting books on screen does not really work for me too much clicking and zooming in & out.

Prefer treadling when piecing & free motioning, love the quiet rhythm that happens when everything's in sync. knowing its doing me heart health some good to, with the gentle exercise, the bonus of a quilt as well. the old school methods are really not old school here.
      when get into the treadling grove, needle up and needle down function works, as well as starting & stopping without touching the balance wheel.

newest innovation to me has been none bouncing free motion feet, its amazing how the noise of thee spring bouncing style foot can tire ye out. this none bouncing is so smooth, seems to work.

my favourite tool it works without straining eyes to see needle hole
      my second favourite unsewingtool
      favourite seat that exercises the core while sewing, a stronger core makes life a lot easier probably the best seat for keeping moving..
      sizzix xxl bigz dies, interest me, more shapes can be cut in one pass with the 6" width xxl bigz dies, but there is a need for more shape sizes, they appear to be limited at the moment.

quilting bees have been replaced by online forum like this one, its great to sign in and chat, ask any questions, help if possible, keep up with everyone in all matters of life, not just sewing.

being able to print onto fabric with the printer was an interesting innovation.
      hope this helps
      T
      Last edited by 201 Treadler; January 12, 2020, 04:28 PM.
      🧵Treadler from UK 👋

Comment

• minipinlady
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2018

I have to agree Jenny's tutorials are at the top of my list, they were a real game changer for me. The sewing machines with over a 100 choices of stitching is just wonderful. I can't say I miss anything from decades ago of quilting. While there was pleasure in a finished quilt, the time and hard work of doing it the hard way is not missed by me. I appreciate all the lovely rulers and tutorials.

Comment

• redcaboose1717
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2011

Jenny is absolutely the ONLY motivation I need!!! It's been a little rough for me getting back into the swing of things, and my list of "Jenny To Do " Quilts/Projects continues to grow like a weed, but that's okay!!!

I also love to watch YouTube videos where vloggers show how to quilt without the "fancy Smancy " technology, such as Donna Jordan's video about hand-tying a quilt when you don't have access to a Long Arm.
          Here's Donna Jordan's video on how to "Hand Tie" quilts at home without any special tools
          (and yes, my grandma did it this way! I also have an apron GMA made, and she made her own, beautiful button holes!)

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
          http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• dwil23
            Missouri Star
            • May 2012

I much prefer a vintage mechanical machine to a modern computerized beast. I have no need for a hundred different stitches. That being said, I am interested in how some use their embroidery machines for quilting, one block at a time, and also in design software such as EQ7 (or whatever the latest is). I'm really not sure my non-techy brain would be able to figure it out, though.

Since my Mom sewed all our clothes but didn't quilt, I don't have memories of "how it used to be", quilting wise.
            Donna

Comment

• lourixe
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2013

Smartphone pics are very helpful for the color value of fabrics, when you edit them in black and white. Another help is taking pics of quilt tops to doodle FMQing on the pics, either printing them or on screen.

Comment

• Deegles
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2014

Pinterest is the best invention. If I want a pattern, normally I can get a visual to either figure it out, or get it free. Pinterest is like gazing at a quilt show admiring the work of others daily!
                Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• AMG
                  The Guild President
                  • Apr 2015

I've not been quilting as long as some others here, so I may not be correct, but it seems like there is a HUGE selection of specialty rulers & templates that can make it much easier for people without lots of experience (or patience. Ahem.) make exquisite quilts faster & more accurately than cutting templates out of cereal boxes or thin plastic.

I also second everyone else who mentioned YouTube & cell phone cameras

Comment

• Old Newbie
                    The Guild President
                    • Jan 2015

Jenny’s videos. Jenny is a great teacher, and the ability to repeat and stop and go on YouTube is very helpful. Also free!
                    Audible books, text to speech and podcasts allow me 2 pleasures at once while quilting.
                    The drop in bobbin reduced my bobbin anxiety by 75% . Enough to try quilting, and I am grateful for that.
                    Manuals available online allow a person like me who loses stuff access to necessary information. Just looked up my Brother manual last night.
                    Online quilt stores like M* give constant inspiration and access to fabric and rulers. The quilting service, for me, is a game changer as the quilts get finished.
                    Pinterest allows me to organize and so easily locate my inspirations and interests.
                    Last edited by Old Newbie; January 14, 2020, 07:47 AM.

Comment

• chelea
                      Missouri Star
                      • Mar 2012

I like to follow various quilting blogs. Also, can’t live without the Robert Kaufman Quilter’s Helper app.
                      Michele
                      ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
                      To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• VintageGalAnnie
                        Prairie Pointer
                        • Jan 2020

What does the Kaufman Quilter's App do?

(Everyone else has voiced my modern tool loves: Jenny, youtube, the www for inspiration, and rulers - oh - and rotary cutters! )

Comment

• chelea
                          Missouri Star
                          • Mar 2012

The Robert Kaufman app is a quilting calculator. I use it mainly for calculating borders, backing and binding but there is much, much more. Give it a look see.
                          Michele
                          ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
                          To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• jjkaiser
                            Missouri Star
                            • Oct 2013

The Kaufman app is free and does all the math for you! Example: input your quilt measurements. Input width of your backing. Input how many inches of overhang if any you want, or you can put in zero. It will then tell you how many yards to buy. You can also input measurements for binding. Very easy to use. I am terrible at math and this has been a lifesaver, it takes the guesswork out.
                            Jocelyn
                            South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

Working...
                            X