Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default After A Long Time .....?

Good Sunday Morning!
    Here's

I just got home from church, changed my clothes and have decided that I am going to break one of my steadfast rules about Sunday which is that I don't do a lot on Sunday because I was raised to believe that Sunday is a day of rest & relaxation along with going to church, so other than making dinner, I usually relax and sew, crochet or do paper-crafting, but today I really want to work on my sewing room. It's been tore up for a month or so, and I want to get it back in order so bad. I've still on the fence about making the closet in this room into a "office" area making some shelves on either side of a small desk, etc. I've seen a few really cute ways people have done this type of thing with their sewing rooms that were once a bedroom and the closet was turned into a cute storage space along with a small desk.
    My sewing room has been repainted in a light pink color from Sherwin Williams called "Dogwood White" (and yes, I had to double check with the gal that painted her baby girl's nursery with this gorgeous pink color because I thought she sent me the wrong color that she did the room in.)
    I have one wall (it's the shortest wall in the room) that I want to pain a different color, but unsure if I should do that, or perhaps wallpaper it.

IF any of you have turned a bedroom closet into a space like I described above, I would appreciate any advice or maybe after you turned the closet into a small office space and wished you had done something different than what you originally planned, I'd love to hear what you did!

Thanks so much!

Name:  thlimited Edition .jpg
Views: 434
Size:  4.3 KB

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: After A Long Time .....?

well have learnt something, in finding an answer to how good, enjoyable creative, and aim to help enjoy life, can never be considered work.
    it seems in some Religious family's Saturday is the day of rest. your guilt free enjoy creating
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/sabbath

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean, deciding should you or shouldn't you change your closet over? My sewing room also used to be a bedroom and the closet is a standard double wide with 2 sliding doors, so about 8 ft wide by 4 ft deep. My room has to share storage, so I only get half of the closet and half of the closet shelf for sewing stuff. The other half is taken up with bank records, and I also have a tall cabinet full of office supplies.

I love your idea of wallpapering one wall. I do love wallpaper and it's so fun to look through those books. I think you need to take a hard look at your closet and how you use it now. My fabric is inside my closet in a 4 drawer filing cabinet--which works fine for me but means there is no room for anything else. If you put a desk inside your closet you probably won't have room for anything else. Will that work okay for you? Also, are you bringing the desk in from another room, or moving it from a corner of your sewing room into the closet? If that is the case then you will be freeing up extra space in your sewing room, so what will you put in that empty space? Maybe you shoukd give some thought to why you are doing this, are you just bored with your current room or is it just not very functional? What do you like and dislike most about the way it is now?

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I tried turning a closet into an office-type workspace, and for me it just did not work. Although it was not a walk-in, it was a good sized closet, but it felt cramped and claustrophobic to me. Also, the lack of natural lighting was a drawback. I suggest you "try" it before making anything permanent. Move a chair to where you plan on having your desk, and imagine working there for a while. I'm not good with small spaces, so it may just be me.
    Lyn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Also I did not think of this until after I posted, but I have never seen electic outlets in a closet and it is likely you will want to plug something in. How will you do that?

7. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There are plenty of lighting solutions without an outlet. Some are even rechargeable.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=non+elect...f=nb_sb_noss_1

When ever I want to change up a space I would look through magazinesand tear out pages for a wish book. Now the best way to do that is Pinterest. No how many times you ask someone what did you do, it doesn't come across like a picture.

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...yped&term_meta[]=diy%20closet%20makeover%20small%20for%20sewing%7C typed

Dresser into a desk

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...yped&term_meta[]=diy%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=dresser%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=into%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=desk%7Ctyped
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dresser desk.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	162296

Lorie

9. Thanks quiltingaway thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sunday Rest Day ~ Sugar, I also was taught that Sun. was a day of rest. It probably was more strict for me, since I was a PK (preacher's kid). Using we took a nap or rested in the afternoon. I would read the Sunday School paper or a book. My older bro. & I used to listen to Pacific Garden Mission and The Greatest Story Every Told on the radio. (No TV at that time.) It took years before in good conscience I could go to the groc. store on a Sun. Now I have no problem with sewing or quilting. It's restful for me.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the comments so far! Actually my DH Terry put a electric outlet in a closet for one of my friends, but the closet wasn't a standard size closet, it was huge. It was (according to Terry that is) pretty easy putting the outlet in the closet because the bathroom was on the other side of the closet. In the room I am thinking of doing this there's an outlet right out side on the wall, within 6-8 inches and this was added to the bedroom before we purchased this house. Everyone that comes to my house always comments on the electrical outlet, so close to the closet, LOL!
    I have a friend that lived in the same neighborhood that I now live in when she was in high school, and she remembers that there was a family member that was very ill and the outlet was put in the room I am now using for medical reasons, etc. My friend says that she doesn't remember why the room was made for the woman like it was, in fact, that was one of the things this friend mentioned the day everyone came over to help us move!!
    Believe it or not, I also have another weird story about having unusual things in other rooms in a house. My BFF's' brother owned towing service and he also was a mechanic as well. When my BFF's brother and his wife purchase the home, one of the things they did was (this was WAY before cell phones, & PC's of course!!! ) to have a telephone installed in the bathroom (it was installed on the wall right next to the commode LOL....the first time I saw that I laughed..but it did make sense to have the phone in the bathroom so that no calls for wrecker service wasn't missed LOL!
    So, how many of you have ever had a phone (this was WAY before cordless phones as well) in a unusual place in your home???
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; January 13th, 2020 at 04:15 AM.

12. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

On Pinterest, I found these ideas!

Name:	Craft Room no#1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	162297

Name:	IMG_0492.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	162298

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think my main issue is that I really need to "quit" trying to be so frugal with this room. I have started to figure out that the only way and the best way for me to make this space my "happy place" is to make it how I want it. Over the years, I have let family members rearrange the room, etc.
    I have been frugal all of my life and it is mainly due to my mom. However, this will be the first time I have re-done a room and haven't had to "worry" myself silly over making decisions that if they didn't work out it was a waste, etc.
    It's great to read everyone's comment. I think when people suggest things, it makes you think about things more and how you really want the space to be.
    The room is function, but a hodge-bodge of Rubbermaid things, etc. I like some of the ideas people have done with those white shelving units :
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/BYO-6-Cub...ll&athena=true

I like the idea that people are making desks, cutting tables, etc. There's a lot of creativity out there using these storage cubs!!!