Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default I am wondering what I should know when checking out old sewing Machines to purchase???

Hi Everyone!
    Good Sunday morning!
    Just as a was about to shut down the computer, I found this sewing machine and cabinet at our local Habitat For Humanity Store and wonder what I should know before purchasing this???
    It's a Singer Sewing machine with the cabinet included and Habitat For Humanity is asking $150.00 for it!!!

So, what I want to know is :
    When I go to look at it, what should I look for or ask one of the volunteers?
    At the price of $150.00 is this asking more than this machine and cabinet is worth or do any of you that collect these machines think it's a good price?

Any information as to what I should ask or what I should be looking for when I go to check the machine out would be appreciated. I just came home from Church, and turned on the PC to see if my niece sent me a msg, before I go out to Jo-Ann fabrics today and as usual I always look at Habitat For Humanity's ReStore to see if they have any great deals!! So, let me know what you think about the photo of this machine etc. and or what I should look for or ask the voluteers at the store.
    https://www.facebook.com/jacksonhabi...D&__tn__=EHH-R

Have a pleasant day everyone!

Name:  thOKH16C89prayer.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  13.3 KB
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; January 12th, 2020 at 12:14 PM.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

2. Thanks VintageGalAnnie, 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I am wondering what I should know when checking out old sewing Machines to purchase???

What model Singer? Some are worth more than others. Does it work. Not just run, but actually sew? How available are parts, if needed?
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I am wondering what I should know when checking out old sewing Machines to purchase???

Hi, I am a vintage sewing machine addict, lol. If you could tell us the model Singer as auntstuff said, or even better, share a pic, that would help immensely. I am really good at identifying vsm's. That said, I have only paid that much for a vsm once - most of my machines, especially electrics from the middle of the 20th century, have been procured for around $75 if in a cabinet and less if just in a case/base. If it is electric, you really want to check out the wiring - that's the thing that goes on these and if the wiring is bad $150 is way too much. It also depends on the condition of the cabinet and which one - some are cooler and harder to come by than others which are common as can be. There's also a vintage sewing machine group here where you can post a pic and ask more questions - especially if you end up bringing it home )

edited to add: if it is a type that has a bobbin case (as opposed to a drop-in bobbin type), you will want to make sure that the bobbin case is there and hopefully a few bobbins. Beyond wiring and bobbin cases you will want to make sure that the needle moves up and down and ask if you can plug it in and take her for a spin. (bring a needle and thread just in case). If it turns stiffly, often times these only need a cleaning and oiling - it really depends on the condition and when it was last used.
    Last edited by VintageGalAnnie; January 12th, 2020 at 01:37 PM.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a Singer 66, decals commonly called a “red eye” by collectors. It is a fairly common machine, although a beautiful one, and parts are available, uses the common 15x1needle and a class 66 bobbin. It appears to be a back clamp foot so won’t take the standard, modern side clamping Singer feet. Decals show quite a bit of wear from use on the bed and it has had a “pin rag” around the head so the Singer name is worn off there. Looks like some wear on the cabinet top, but no obvious damage. It is not unusual for there to be veneer damage to the top, which is not visible in the picture since it’s open, so you’ll have to look.

I’d say the price is not a bargain but not out of line if it’s functional and you want a treadle machine to sew on. It depends on how old machines sell in your area. (I might be more likely to give that to a cause like Habit for Humanity). Be sure it turns freely (although a good oiling usually helps that a lot). Check drawers for attachments, book, etc. Treadle belt usually needs replaced.

I’m on the west coast, so this is probably too late anyway, but I would be glad to answer any questions if you bought it.
    If you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

6. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Good post - I'm glad you could see the ad and tell what type of machine. (I'm not on fb) A treadle! My fav kind! (although I prefer 15's) And I agree with all your comments/advice.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

take some fabric x thread and ensure it sews, on a 66 & 99 the thread goes through the needle left to right, my picture 13 shows how to thread, (no longer have the machine was given to the heart foundation after failure to sell online for £20 even working may not sell on),
    check the bobbin area is all there.
    looking at the photo it looks like a back clamper, the foot fixes to the rear by the fixing, they can be switched out for a 201 presser bar if want side fixing feet which tends to be more preferable,
    the tension discs look odd may be just the photo angle. but it may be there is only one, you can source pre owned replacement on online selling site.
    looks nice.

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Also with regards to price. What these machines are worth totally depends on whether it is worth the price to you. It is probably a fair price though, depending on condition. (I haven't seen the pics.) Price also depends a lot on where it is and whether that machine is harder to find in your location or common. If you look on CL and see that there are quite a few available in your local area in various conditions and pricing then you would be in a position to shop around if you love it and want one. If not, you might be inclined to grab this one. I read in someone's response that it is a back-clamping machine. I have a back-clamping Red Eye. The only disadvantage is that standard short shank attachments won't work such as walking feet and zipper feet or fancy 1/4 inch feet. Several back-clamping attachments such as rufflers and hemmers were made at the time though and if your machine comes with them they will be fun to play with and maybe even use if you are inclined to ruffling, etc.

Let us know what you decided!