Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Took the Leap on a New Computer

I’ve been interested in all of the comments on this thread, about switching from Windows 7 to 10, but I notice the comments seem to have stopped (and so has Microsoft’s support for Windows 7). I still have W. 7 and can’t figure out what to do, if anything. I agree with blogger “dwil23” who says she hates “that some big corporation is deciding that a computer that works fine for my purposes is going to be obsolete.” I also agree with her when she says, “I just don't like trying to figure this all out. I would rather save my brain power for figuring out quilts!”

Microsoft says Windows 10 is needed for “security” and “to keep out viruses and malware.” Windows is an Operating System. I’ve never seen anyone refer to it as an “anti-virus” program. I pay another business $89 every year for anti-virus protection. Why do we need both?
    I had to buy a new hard drive in 2018 because the computer stopped working and I was told by the repair shop that the hard drive had “mechanical failure.” All of my files were lost, including pictures. So why didn’t Microsoft prevent that? The repair shop said it wasn’t a virus that caused the failure; it was the fact that the hard drive was six years old (bought in a new computer in 2012).

Does anyone have any helpful information about any of this to share with a technical un-savvy person?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Am2901 ~ I do not consider myself a tech savvy person, but I've learned a lot over the past 10 yrs. of computing -- mostly from reading & learning from the classes & coaches at our senior center computer dept.

When I turned on my laptop today (I've been using it very sparingly the past 48 hrs.), there was a full page notification of the support for Windows 7 ending. Yes, Microsoft has us over a barrel. We are dependent on the products it provides. It has been a well known fact for a year or more that MS's support of W-7 would be ending. We've had plenty of advance notice. For people who have adequate storage on their computers, Windows 10 can be downloaded. When it first came out, it was free. Now you'll have to pay for it. It takes ~4 GB of memory. But considering my laptop is 9 y.o. & actually beyond its life expectancy, I chose to buy a new laptop. I feel very fortunate to not have had my hard drive fail or lost any data. Most hard drives, except the solid state ones, have moving parts which, with use, can fail. It's not the fault of your virus scans or Microsoft.

With W-7, anti-virus programs have been necessary. I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials (free) from day 1. After my laptop got a trojan & froze up, I've been using free versions of CCleaner, Defraggler, SuperAntivirusSpyware, Disc Check, & Malwarebytes. What the computer coaches have told me is that Windows 10 has a Defender anti-virus program built it. There will be no need to buy any additional security programs or download any of these other free virus scans. It's provided in W-10.

When I bought my laptop 9 yrs. ago, I paid for Office 2010. If I could download this on my new laptop, I'd be a happy camper, but I'm told support for it is ending in Oct. of this year. So...there is a free program called Libre Office -- not sure I want to learn a new system, & it has its limitations. Office 2019 is $149. for a one time purchase. Office 365 is $149. for a 1 time purchase for 1 computer. If the household has other users, one can pay more for up to 6 laptops. If you buy the subscription (for 1 computer) it's $99./year, every year. Home & Business purchase is $249.99.

Bottom line: Windows 7 no longer will be supported by Microsoft & your computer will become slower & less secure. You're at risk for a virus, malware, etc. I'm staying off the laptop except for just a short period each day until I can get my laptop set up. It's supposed to be here Friday.

I've learned my Adobe Photo Shop Elements 10 will not work with Windows 10, so I need to buy an updated version of that; I'm not happy about that. But when there's a monopoly on these items, what can you do but pay the price for the products that work.

3. Thanks am2901 thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

there is always the photos program in menu, it has two mountains as the icon�� as an alternative jcy.

they call it progress am2901, but feel for ye still being on 7, may be wrong but 7 lost support ages ago here, our comp upgraded when they offered the free 10 download, had to update twice and reset everything twice to my preference, am no expert, but now find it works ok, in fact we just bought a battery to save having to tame a new computer. we are lucky that we can go to the library to interweb when the signal goes astray, do you have availability to do the same?
    what do you need to know? am sure as a sewing group we can try to help you.

5. Thanks am2901 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your new computer. I loved Win7 too, so saying goodbye to it was hard for me. I still hate Win10 after 3 years! Anyway, about the word processing and Microsoft Office. I had used the earlier versions which I bought with my various laptops, but the last time around it was nothing but a cash grab, I felt. So what I did was stop using Microsoft Office and start using the free Chrome word processing program. It is called Docs. You use it right from the Chrome browser and it stores your documents in the Cloud. It is very very easy to pick up. Also, if you do run into a question or can't figure out how to do something - like make and work with a table for example, the Help is outstanding. I never found the Microsoft Help at all helpful. So if you plan to use Chrome as your browser, I am sure your Senior Center staffers could show you how easy Google Docs is. I have never missed MS Office.

7. Thanks am2901 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I spent 3 hrs. at computer lab this afternoon. We didn't get everything done, but made a start. We had time to download all my files from the old laptop on to an external hard drive, but didn't have time to import them into the new laptop. We'll do that next time. We did set up the new laptop & I learned how to do e-mail & a few things. I have some quick icon links on the bottom task bar that will help. I can see there will be a big learning curve! Finding where things are may be a challenge. I'm still undecided about an office product. The coach did give me a brief overview of using Google's docs program, which is free. I really don't want to use the Cloud. I may consider buying Home & Student Office 2016 from Walmart -- cheaper than MS -- & something I'm more familiar with. Stay tuned.

9. Thanks am2901 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well I too had to upgrade my laptop. It has the Windows 10 - S, meaning they got ya over a barrel for sure. Have to go to the Microsoft store to get programs downloaded. Read too many horror stories about turning off the S mode and computers crashing. But I did find "Ultra Office" app at the Microsoft store for downloading, free... So I was able to simplify my spreadsheets from excel and now use the Ultra program for the spreadsheets. So far so good. I just use them for finance budget and keeping track of my dads medical stuff.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I ran into the same problem with Office not working when I upgraded by Windows a few years ago. I found a free product called Open Office that works very much like Office. I've been using the word processor and spread sheet for years without any problems or cost, and files are stored on your computer, not in a cloud.
    Lyn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Joy, my son talked me into using Google docs. So far, I hate it and get so frustrated with the EZ docs he set up.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mimi ~ Fortunately, my Windows 10 is not the S mode. I heard some neg. comments about it at computer lab today. The jury is still out on which office product I'll use. I'm leaning toward buying Office 2016 Home & Student from Walmart.

I'm having some frustrations today with how the e-mail works. The columns on the L. side of the screen take up half the screen, which allows only half of the screen for reading/composing msgs. Maybe there's some trick I haven't learned yet.