Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Took the Leap on a New Computer

I'm glad that you found a laptop with all the features you want.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got what you needed, Joy.

My phone is still hanging on the wall!
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

3. Thanks dwil23, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

congratulations, on your new comp,
    hope you be up and running quickly.

(if press windows icon and go down list to w,
    windows accessories, the sub menu has word pad,
    its a basic program compared to office, but at least can write letters, ect. while deciding if want to pay a subscription on office. it may be on windows 7 for you to have a look.
    have fun at your classes.

5. Thanks Granny Fran thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In response to a question I had, I got an e-m from one of the computer coaches. She suggested MS Office 2019 Home & Student edition. It's a one time purchase of $149. I'm exploring that as an option.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you found something you liked and got a deal to boot.

I was looking at an all in one last night. I told Mike what I was thinking. I really don't care for this Chrome book for much of anything. His only question was where are you going to put it? That's the thing!

I have used the MS Home and Student in the older versions. I loved using it.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Joy, I sure admire your tenacity! You knew exactly what you needed, wanted, and the price! Good for you and your diligent research and shopping! Hope your laptop gives you many more years of enjoyment. I'm sorry I can't recommend which Office. I get confused with all of them too. My daughters all use Google docs but I'm not used to it. We use Office 2016 at work.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also ordered a new HP desktop this past Saturday from Best Buy...my SIL picked it out for me and will install it...my desktop was 9 years old and was Windows 7...I am apprehensive about getting used to something new...I don't like change either.... I do have a laptop that is Windows 8...hoping 10 is similar....thanks for the post Joy...
    Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a 2 TB Seagate Backup Slim external hard drive from Staples today. With the rewards plan, you get next day delivery! This item already was on sale, plus I had a rewards coupon that saved me $10. Total cost will be $59.67. I'm just waiting on my laptop to arrive. I'm hoping it gets here before Friday so I can take advantage of computer lab Fri. afternoon.

For those seniors who are needing help with the transition, check with your local senior center to determine if they offer classes & computer coach assistance. We have a great senior center in our city with such helpful teachers/coaches in the computers. I've been taking classes on & off for 10 yrs., even before I bought my first laptop. I've learned so much over the years. There's still a lot I don't know!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your new laptop. When I recently purchased mine (black Friday), I chose the single home/student download for Office. I primarily use Excel, and in all the years that I have been using computers, I have never reached out to Microsoft for support, so I felt very comfortable with the single use, and don't feel that I will need the updates,

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My new laptop was purchased in September 2018. That was one month before my stepfather fell ill (he passed away two months later). My life got incredibly busy helping my mom after that. I still have not moved from my 2013 old laptop to my 2018 new laptop—and it's 2020!

However, to answer the original question, I strongly object to subscribing to software, as in Office 365. So I purchased Office 2019 (yes, in 2018). I have used it a little, and there are a few things I don't like about it. They seem to want to do some of my thinking for me, and I'd rather do my own thinking myself. Of course, Office 365 probably does the same "thinking," so I don't think it's any better than Office 2019.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?