Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Curved cutting and piecing questions

Good Morning to all,
    I've purchased the Old Mill Path quilt pattern and will be tackling it hopefully in the next month or so.

I've never done curved piecing on a quilt before; the closest I've come is to do shoulder seams on shirts. I don't remember any problems as long as I went slowly. I'm planning to make several test blocks before I touch the fabric I purchased for this quilt.

But I came up with a couple of questions:
    1) Does the stitch length need to be shorter than usual when sewing curves to get a smoother seam?
    2) Should the fabric be starched prior to cutting? I usually starch (or use Best Press) prior to cutting to avoid any stretching, but curved seams need a bit of stretching and easing, don't they?

And advice is appreciated. Hope you have a wonderful day!!!
    Barbara

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Curved cutting and piecing questions

I have made one quilt with curve piecing. Bird Song using Sew Kind of Wonderful ruler and pattern.

YES- I didn't shorten the stitch but you could to 2.0
    YES - do starch the fabric before cutting.

Tip - Do not stretch fabric when piecing. Just lay and adjust as you sew, stopping often.
    Tip - Google Sew Kind of Wonderful Tutorial for placement of convex and concave piece - which one goes on top.

Good luck. Curves are fun.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One other tip that helped me with curves is to use the needle down on the machine. It made shifting around the curve easier and I always sew kind of slow. Happy sewing.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Done several curved pieced quilts. Your 1/4 inch needs to be scant and accurate. If you sew your pieces together and the straight edge is askew, check your seam allowance. If the blocks you are doing are very small, shrink your stitch length, otherwise leave your stitch length accessible for the seam ripper. As you go, you will get better at it. The top two tips that will help you the most: 1) mark your centers and stitch outward from them, 2) do not align the front of your foot to feed cloth in. Because it is on the curve it will affect the seam allowance at the needle. Only pay attention for guiding fabric at the point the needle stitches. Sounds crazy but it works. As you go you will see this unfold before your eyes, and if this doesnt make sense now, come back and read it after a few doses of stitching your curves. Have fun!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

This is a tip only if you have a freearm on your SM small enough to slide a shirt sleeve over (my "vintage" Viking does-my Janome doesn't.) Feeding the pinned/clipped pieces through the needle as if it was wrapped around the free arm, allows it to feed straight through rather than following the shape of the curved pieces. Much easier to manage the seam allowance and ease the long side in.

I mark the center and quarter points on both pieces and clip together on the marks, easing in the top piece.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

7. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

That brings back memories of shoulder seams....that's how I used to do them.....on the freearm.
    Barbara