Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Saturday!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Happy Saturday!

Well, it's Saturday anyway and I'm feeling a bit crabby.

I'm glad my son wanted to gift me a dog for Christmas. I'm trying to be glad I brought Sadie home for an over night visit. Would it be horrible to call and find out how much longer I have to keep her? She's not slept all night, but scratched and gnawed inconsolably, which means I haven't slept either. Now I know for sure. I DON'T want a dog!

She did really well when the kids were here for a bit. Then she hid under my sewing desk and it took a food bribe to get her out. She crawled up under the headboard of my bed last night. I thought I'd never get her out of there. After that, I went out to the garage and brought in a tub. She stayed in that for a few hours, popping the plastic when she'd scratch.

I left her in my dressing area, in the tub and went to try to sleep in the kids room. She jumped out of the tote and found me. I'm beat, but I've got stuff ready to make the jar openers after Mike gets up. I don't want to sew while he's sleeping. He has to go in to work this morning.

I have to add a big thank you to my Secret Santa, Danielle, I snuggled under your quilt and almost went to sleep before I was found out! It was so warm and comfy!

I do hope Sadie finds her forever home. She needs someone that sits and dotes on her all the time, as well as someone that can't hear her scratching! Poor baby.

Anyway, yesterday was beautiful here. It's still in the upper 60s. I'm ready for some colder weather.

Have a great day. Maybe I'll get a nap in later.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Happy Saturday!

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Katrina ~ It's good they gave you a trial for the dog. What a sleepless night. IMO, at our age, that's just too much effort to try to adjust to a pet. Gifting you a dog was a nice gesture, but perhaps not a good fit for your situation.

It's cold this a.m. ~ only 14 deg. Brr. The clear skies are lit up with the full moon. It never got above 36 yest. Might see 45 today.

I attended the open computer lab yest. afternoon & talked with one of the very knowledgeable coaches. He showed me a way to zero in & be more specific in my web browsing searches. We discussed the specs. on one of the computers I was considering. I had printed out the info. & we went over each item -- pros, cons, what all those numbers mean, etc. I learned a lot. Then we discussed off topic, diabetes. He has a continuous glucose monitor. He can hold the hand-held reader over the device & it tells him his blood sugar. It reads in 5 min. increments. No more finger sticks. Pretty cool. Back to computers: I also need to buy an external hard drive. It looks like they cost ~$65. So...on to decision making. If I don't have a new Windows 10 computer by the 14th, he recommends limited use of my W-7 laptop, only for short periods of time, and keeping it disconnected from the internet (my router) when not in use.

My plans today are to continue the laptop search. Maybe another visit to Staples.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Katrina I was up early this morning too. I understand you about a dog. Well being afraid is one deterrent, for me at least. At least you got to do a trial run.

I went over my projects that I am taking with me. They are basically UFOs. I am really packing light this time. I will be bringing my bread machine. I don't know if the one I left there is still working or not. Oh well..

We have pouring rain this morning. I hope we don't get the freezing rain expected later. Hubby wanted to go to an auction sale this morning. He just got up but I don't think we will be going, although he hasn't given me the official word.

Not much else happening here. I need to finalize my packing, so I guess that is what I will do today.

Have a great Saturday everyone.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning!

Katrina: sorry to hear you had a bad night with Sadie. I had a similar experience years ago when I brought a dog home, except she whined and howled all night long. I was crazy about that dog, but after several nights of not sleeping, I had to return her. She found her forever home soon after and it was a perfect fit. I never did get another dog. I'm waiting until I'm retired. Maybe.

Mom has been at the memory care facility for two weeks. She is still adjusting and so are we. We're having communication issues, I won't bore you with all the details. I need to have a chat with the director. Life would be a little easier for all of us if my cell phone worked in my office, which it does not. I literally have no bars there and the phone says 'no service' where the bars would be. I told them to call my work number, but...they don't. Which means I don't get the messages until hours later. I have been assured in the case of an emergency they would call my sister, who is the alternate.

I am on the fence whether or not to buy the quilt as you go hexagon template. I liked the quilt when the tutorial came out, but didn't buy it because I didn't want another template. Then I got to thinking about it, and I have a few charm packs that would make a great scrappy quilt. I checked the pattern and you need a total of 7.25 yards for the backing. Yikes! That's a lot of yardage for a quilt that's only 57.5" x 54"!

We're expecting highs near 70 today! Plus lots of wind and thunderstorms this afternoon. Tomorrow temps will crash into the 30's, then back up to the 50's on Monday. This is not a typical winter, that's for sure!

Have a great day!

8. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning all,

Well it's been raining all night and the weather alerts are on. We are prepared. The cats are freaking already. The cars are both squeezed into the garage. We have food, water, flashlights, candles and quilts. Hopefully this won't turn into the ice storm of '98.

Yesterday I made 5 large shepherd's pies. I just have to top them with mashed patatoes and freeze. I also went with my GF to cut 3 bolts of batting for Victoria Quilts. We were done in 20 mins. Then we dropped off 5 quilts for LA to finish. She is generous to volunteer. I'm also working at removing red that has bled into white blocks, quilt top was donated to VQC but I suspected it might bleed. I don't want to quilt until it stops bleeding. I may have to remove the offending block and replicate.

DH's operated rye is doing much better. He is getting amazed at what he now sees without glasses from that eye. He spoke to his youngest last night, and his mom is going to take him for new health card. He hates this, as they have had a non-existent relationship as she wants to control everything. DH told him I can't accompany to med appt. Another family member is going to have to step up. He now wants to know how to eat properly. I'm stepping back from that. Not my monkey.

Katrina - this may be a good decision not to keep Sadie, but also no dog at all. Dogs can be hazardous for those with vision issues. Trips. Falls. Unless they are trained as service dogs.
    JulieC - keep up with meeting with administrators and staff to get your mom's care to the level you expect. I find that communication is always challenging. Sometimes they call home, other times my cell. Sometimes they don't call when they should. For example, when she was having TIA after xmas, it was the sitter I hire that contacted me. It took 2hrS+ to call me when she broke her hip. They called so I could go sit with her while the ambulance came.

I am spending today & tomorrow in my sewing room. Pressing fabrics I washed. Sewing. Organizing. Just relaxing in my happy place. Weather is encouraging this.

Have a good day.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

10. Thanks Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I haven't been around much, being a caregiver of two does keep me busy. A year ago I was dealing my dad having his leg amputated below the knee. Well we are now back to the hospital with circulation issues on the other leg and in the ICU. A prayer for us would be appreciated.

12. Thanks 201 Treadler, SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning.i was up and out early to do some errands. I know how much work dogs can be— we have 4. The puppy is going through the teen yrs. thang good ness they all sleep through the night. Our last pug stared barking at 4:30 every morning. I

It will be in the 60s here. I plan on being outside with the dogs. I need to keep sewing strips on my quilt and get my scrapbook things organized for my retreat next weekend.

Mimi— sending healing thoughts your way. Suzanne— glad you’re DH eye is doing better.

Have a good day.
    Beth

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone! It'll be a quiet one for me as hubs is volunteering on one of the tall ships all day. Chores are done. A couple of errands are on the list along with a walk in the park as it's already 60!
    Joann has batting on sale this week and I got some Pellon cotton batting for 5.99/yd. First time using that brand for me and I was pleasantly surprised. It has a nice drape and it quilted beautifully. Now onto the binding and another ufo will be done.
    Katrina, sounds like Sadie was scared. Adopting a rescue dog is a huge commitment and not something someone should decide for you. They have so much love to give but do require some preparation and patience and yes, lots of time in the beginning. We sometimes have no idea what they've been through before they find their way to the shelter. My heart goes out to the pups looking for forever homes and all the wonderful folks who rescue them.
    Last edited by chelea; January 11th, 2020 at 01:49 PM.

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have discovered that the lumps on my arch are plantar fibrosis, after a cortisone shot it actually feels worse. It should help the lumps get smaller or disappear.
    The lesson learned is to wear good arch supports when you are standing, dancing, and walking. Since we all use our feet all the time we do need to take care of them. No more wearing slippers all day for me.
    Our guild has a new challenge from Lavender-lime called Piece by Piece, the designer came to our meeting on Thursday, I picked out fabrics from my stash and starched it all yesterday, today begins ironing and cutting. This pattern uses a cake mix if you wish and I bought one, will see how this works for accurate hst. I am hopeful.
    A cat might be a better fit for you, they are much more easy care and can be very loving and good company.

18. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Chelea, I think Sadie has anxiety issues. I left detailed notes with suggestions, like a thunder shirt might help her, her skin issues need to be addressed, her flea and heart worm meds need to be updated, she needs a crate to sleep in, etc.

She was definitely a trip hazard on our hard wood floors, she was a pretty close match!

I do hope they'll put her in a longer term foster to see if they can address some of those issues. But with home schooling starting Monday again for the spring semester, I don't need the sleepless nights.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

20. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post