• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sewUK
    Designer Diva
    • Jun 2014

What's the oddest thing you've been asked to make

Fergus chilled.jpg

We have a new puppy - Fergus - he's gorgeous as you can see. We have a safety gate to stop him going UPSTAIRS but he can nudge it to get through. My daughter asked me to make some weights to keep it in place. So now we have 3 tubes filled with pebbles laid over the base of the gate - voila! It works but not going into mass production any time soon. So have you had any odd requests?
  • Carlie Wolf
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2013

Re: What's the oddest thing you've been asked to make

Not quilting, but I was once asked by a woman to "spin her pussy". Hummmm, she had a cat and wanted me to handspin her cats fur into yarn. I had to very very carefully maintain my composure before I reply that yes I can handspin cat hair.
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• Bubby
      Missouri Star
      • Jun 2011

The most different things I've made were chuppahs (wedding canopies) for Hebrew wedding ceremonies. For several years while I lived in Las Vegas I had a nice side business making chuppahs. They are a square cloth held up with poles and decorated with beautiful flowers and ribbons. I had to be sanctified by a Rabbi because I was outside of their faith and considered unclean. Sometimes it was a blessing and sometimes not. There is a wealth of symbolism to chuppahs, but it basically is a symbol of God's presence at the wedding and in the home the couple will be establishing.
      Last edited by Bubby; January 10, 2020, 10:52 AM.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Hulamoon
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2012

Cute!

Surf board covers, reupholster some boat seats. Those are pretty typical things here. I was asked to make an eye patch for a guy that lost one of his. He wanted something softer and better fitting.

Outside of sewing.. The lower male anatomy in cake. I had to start turning those down because I had two girl toddlers. ummm, no, lol
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• auntstuff
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2017

Winter horse blankets, and I made several of them.
          She who dies with the most quilts is......
          Still dead.
          What's your hurry?

Comment

• LauraP
            Missouri Star
            • Dec 2015

A cover for my husbands gyrocopter (no pattern), bags for trailer mirrors and a crocheted stump cover for a friend who lost his hand.
            sigpic

Comment

• jjkaiser
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2013

My dd had a gorgeous wedding gown. Gazillion layers of tulle in the skirt part and the top was strapless loaded with beads and sparkly sequins. She wanted me to cut up the dress and fashion a fancy clutch bag out of the sequinned top. This was way out of my league and we consulted a number of shops that do alterations and they all said no. Fast forward 5 years, she is now divorced and that dress is still hanging in my cedar closet. Where it will probably remain until I die!
              Jocelyn
              South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• bakermom
                Missouri Star
                • Sep 2010

Replace the cloth seat in DH's tree stand, also made a primitive lean-to for him to camp in. Altered can koozies to hold duck calls, made a superman cape for dd's puppy, a canvas carrying bag for a Dutch oven. Also made period clothing without a pattern, just a sketch for my brother when he was doing re-enectments for the Bi-centennial
                “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

• Squeaky
                  Applique Angel
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                  The most different things I've made were chuppahs (wedding canopies) for Hebrew wedding ceremonies. For several years while I lived in Las Vegas I had a nice side business making chuppahs. They are a square cloth held up with poles and decorated with beautiful flowers and ribbons. I had to be sanctified by a Rabbi because I was outside of their faith and considered unclean. Sometimes it was a blessing and sometimes not. There is a wealth of symbolism to chuppahs, but it basically is a symbol of God's presence at the wedding and in the home the couple will be establishing.
                  If you're not familiar, Julie from Jaybird Quilts (ruler designer and pattern writer) had a collective of quilters make blocks that she put together as her wedding quilt that doubled as a chuppa. Amazingly beautiful! Read the story here: http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/2016/03...ing-quilt.html

Comment

• bubba
                    Missouri Star
                    • Mar 2013

Two paddle board covers.....I did not do it.
                    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• LauraP
                      Missouri Star
                      • Dec 2015

I also made pickleball paddle covers
                      sigpic

Comment

• CraftyJnet
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jun 2015

Belly bands for a dog rescue group. I made a big bag of them. They are very simple.

Jeannette

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                          Missouri Star
                          • Aug 2015

DH and I made a new trampoline for our Tornado (catamaran). This prompted many requests from sailing club members for repairs, which we turned down. I did make new curtains with snaps for a friend's sailboat. We will be re-upholstering the seats in the glider planes this winter.

Odd request, to make a super insulated Cape for tooddler, that would fit in car seat, so they could bring child in / out of babysitter without putting on snowsuit. I declined as I don't really sew for money. Craft shows excluded.
                          Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• catmama635
                            Applique Angel
                            • Sep 2013

Guinea pig sleeping bags. My cat sitter is part of a guinea pig rescue and adoption organization. I never even knew there was such a thing as guinea pig rescue or guinea pig sleeping bags. But I've learned a lot about them from her (interesting little creatures!) and I've been making the bags for her for a few years now. They offer these for sale to people adopting the piggies and the money goes towards care and feeding of the animals while they are being fostered and awaiting adoption.
                            Ellen =^..^=

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jan 2012

Adam and Eve costumes for a play. Thank goodness for artificial fig leaves! Oh, and just two weeks ago, I made a Stanley Cup dress for a local St. Louis Blues hockey fan. Last year, my neighbor asked me to make fabric fan blades for his ceiling fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X