Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's the oddest thing you've been asked to make

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fergus chilled.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	162260

We have a new puppy - Fergus - he's gorgeous as you can see. We have a safety gate to stop him going UPSTAIRS but he can nudge it to get through. My daughter asked me to make some weights to keep it in place. So now we have 3 tubes filled with pebbles laid over the base of the gate - voila! It works but not going into mass production any time soon. So have you had any odd requests?

2. Thanks Old Newbie, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's the oddest thing you've been asked to make

Not quilting, but I was once asked by a woman to "spin her pussy". Hummmm, she had a cat and wanted me to handspin her cats fur into yarn. I had to very very carefully maintain my composure before I reply that yes I can handspin cat hair.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The most different things I've made were chuppahs (wedding canopies) for Hebrew wedding ceremonies. For several years while I lived in Las Vegas I had a nice side business making chuppahs. They are a square cloth held up with poles and decorated with beautiful flowers and ribbons. I had to be sanctified by a Rabbi because I was outside of their faith and considered unclean. Sometimes it was a blessing and sometimes not. There is a wealth of symbolism to chuppahs, but it basically is a symbol of God's presence at the wedding and in the home the couple will be establishing.
    Last edited by Bubby; January 10th, 2020 at 02:52 PM.

5. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cute!

Surf board covers, reupholster some boat seats. Those are pretty typical things here. I was asked to make an eye patch for a guy that lost one of his. He wanted something softer and better fitting.

Outside of sewing.. The lower male anatomy in cake. I had to start turning those down because I had two girl toddlers. ummm, no, lol

Lorie

7. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Winter horse blankets, and I made several of them.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

9. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A cover for my husbands gyrocopter (no pattern), bags for trailer mirrors and a crocheted stump cover for a friend who lost his hand.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

11. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My dd had a gorgeous wedding gown. Gazillion layers of tulle in the skirt part and the top was strapless loaded with beads and sparkly sequins. She wanted me to cut up the dress and fashion a fancy clutch bag out of the sequinned top. This was way out of my league and we consulted a number of shops that do alterations and they all said no. Fast forward 5 years, she is now divorced and that dress is still hanging in my cedar closet. Where it will probably remain until I die!

13. Thanks auntiemern, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Replace the cloth seat in DH's tree stand, also made a primitive lean-to for him to camp in. Altered can koozies to hold duck calls, made a superman cape for dd's puppy, a canvas carrying bag for a Dutch oven. Also made period clothing without a pattern, just a sketch for my brother when he was doing re-enectments for the Bi-centennial
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

15. Thanks auntiemern, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    The most different things I've made were chuppahs (wedding canopies) for Hebrew wedding ceremonies. For several years while I lived in Las Vegas I had a nice side business making chuppahs. They are a square cloth held up with poles and decorated with beautiful flowers and ribbons. I had to be sanctified by a Rabbi because I was outside of their faith and considered unclean. Sometimes it was a blessing and sometimes not. There is a wealth of symbolism to chuppahs, but it basically is a symbol of God's presence at the wedding and in the home the couple will be establishing.
    If you're not familiar, Julie from Jaybird Quilts (ruler designer and pattern writer) had a collective of quilters make blocks that she put together as her wedding quilt that doubled as a chuppa. Amazingly beautiful! Read the story here: http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/2016/03...ing-quilt.html

17. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Two paddle board covers.....I did not do it.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

19. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post