Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone try the Quilt as You Go Hexi yet?

Hi - has anyone else tried the Quilt as You Go Hexagon template yet? I tried it out this morning and I have to say it's not as daunting as I thought it would be. In the tutorial, the ladies pin it all over the place, but I used my iron instead and made a 'pre-pass' of ironing the edges down like you would binding, and the sewing went really quick.
    I just wonder how long or labor intensive a quilt would be though! Something like a table runner is probably more realistic. I would love to use up a single charm pack .

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anyone try the Quilt as You Go Hexi yet?

Congrats on stretching your comfort zone. I've not used this template, but I think it would take a huge number of hexies to make a full quilt. Start small and then increase the size. Can't wait to see what you make.

3. Thanks RAFDesigns thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I saw something I'd like to do with that pattern. It used old jeans and made a floor rug. I really could use a narrow long rug from the kitchen door to the dryer in the garage! Making with beat up jeans sounds like a win win... if I hadn't already donated all of my old jeans to the SA last year.

I'm hoping Mike will donate some of his old jeans to this idea (since I gave him 7 pair of new jeans for Christmas).
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

5. Thanks RAFDesigns thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made a few with Christmas fabric and gave them to friends. I was not thrilled with the outcome but it was probably user error. They seemed a bit poofy in the centers. I used the little clips instead of pins to hold the sides as I pressed them and did sew on the machine.

7. Thanks RAFDesigns thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, tried it as soon as I got it in November. Did post the following:

Received the new template this morning and just had to try it out. Ooooops, no silicon pins to be found anywhere so I decided to test out the assembly with a lapel stick. Yep, I did pin the center (may try using the lapel stick for this too). My stitching is not as accurate as I would normally do and I used what thread I had in my machine, but this was just a test. Miters were super. Used a decorative stitch from my Brother to put the two together. All sides are accurate. If you try this, fold each section completely before you go on to the next. I think that's what they showed in the tutorial. Scraps here I come!
    Name:  Hexi test2.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  12.1 KB

If you want to make bigger hexis, use the template and a ruler. Lay the ruler aligned with the side of the template and measure out how many inches bigger you want it. Mark the line long enough so that when you measure the next side the hexi first side will intersect. Continue all around and then use the ruler to guide your rotary cutter along the lines.
    Made this one using that method. It's about 18" across.
    Name:  Topper.jpeg
Views: 198
Size:  7.7 KB
    Last edited by MHG Winnower; January 10th, 2020 at 01:34 PM.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

9. Thanks giig21, KPH, RAFDesigns thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

i just used pins in the corners as I folded the backing over. then stitched removing pins as i went. then zig zagged them all together. actually i think i did that one by hand. yep, by hand. next will be zig zagged!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just started making them, white background/Christmas centers.
    I make a few between projects. Easy to make.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had some left over Wrap-n-Zap from making bowl cozies. Used that instead of regular batting and sewed up a bunch for small Christmas presents. I think they are a perfect size for a small mug rug. Feedback has been great so far.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I made a few as coasters for my daughter for Christmas. Some with Christmas fabric and some with black and white fabric. They are just the right size for a glass or cup.
    The only problem I ran into was stitching down the fold. At the corners/turns, the fabric caught under my machine foot and was an aggravation to have to stop and re-adjust at each turn. I think it may have been the folding sequence and with my next ones, will focus on getting that corrected. There has to be a way to fold so you are stitching OVER that tiny fold instead INTO it.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judy, USMC View Post
    I had some left over Wrap-n-Zap from making bowl cozies. Used that instead of regular batting and sewed up a bunch for small Christmas presents. I think they are a perfect size for a small mug rug. Feedback has been great so far.
    Oh, I think I will try that too! I have soooo many small pieces a batting that I WANT to try & use rather than throw away, this sounds like a perfect idea.