Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Not sure what to do

The closet for storage in the sewing is 5 feet wide x 2 feet deep. So it's small.

I have the adjustable wire shelving with brackets. This allows me to change the shelf heights if needed. Fabric is ruler folded with a 6 1/2 ruler. There are 8 stacks of fabric on each shelf.

Other shelves hold the scrapbook containers. These hold various supplies; zippers, notions, machine accessories, special projects, etc.

I also use the wire basket units from c*ontain*er store. They are practical for storage as you can design them according to needs by width, height or depth of drawers. One six drawer unit holds all the embroidery and serger threads. Another small one rolls under the desk. It holds scraps, etc.

Needles are stored in a small container with dividers.

I don't like those plastic unit either for storing heavy fabrics.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have small clear plastic boxes with separators that I bought at Bass Pro for my needle packages for the machine. It works great, portable and sorted. Just wanted to add that those small tackle boxes were probably meant for fishing flies or jigs or something.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to keep my stash behind closed doors vs in plain view, so I have storage cabinets. I would buy some sturdy shelving units and line the walls with them and use the sturdy fabric storage containers like Dollar General sells. I understand your dilema. Good Luck

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. There are some great ideas here. This room is a little larger than my sewing room at my other house (that was about 8 x 8), however, one wall has the door into the room, the next wall has a door to a bathroom and the closet door, one wall has a huge window that takes up a good portion of the wall and the last wall is just a wall. I have one table in there that used to be used as our computer table. It is from IKEA and I think it is adjustable. My original idea was to use it as a cutting table but I don't think it will fit in the space between the bathroom door and closet door. I will also need to get another table for my one sewing machine --- hopefully one that it can fit into and be even with the table top. That will make FMQ easier.

KarenC - I have unpacked about 15 boxes and still have about 12 more to go (just in my sewing room). So far there has been several finished pieced quilt tops, fabric, unfinished projects, fabric. notions, fabric, patterns, fabric, thread, etc. Hard to believe I gave away 3 plastic bags full of fabric to my guild's comfort quilts.

ilive2craft2 - The Alex storage drawers from Ikea are one of the items on my list to possibly purchase. My older son gave me a gift card to Ikea for Christmas so I am waiting to make the trip to a store.

CarolineT - the closet in the room is 5 ft front to back, and 4 ft 11 in side to side. There is also a shelf in there --- like there would be in any closet.

Chelea - I like your idea of using an Ikea picture ledge with ruler stands on them and then hooks underneath for scissors and cutters. I have put that on my Ikea list.

I will figure this all out eventually.

Nancy

5. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck! I bet you'll get some great ideas when you go to Ikea. But, before you go, you could make a drawing of your space on graph paper and also draw your furniture pieces on graph paper, cut them out and shift them around to explore the possibilities.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    Good luck! I bet you'll get some great ideas when you go to Ikea. But, before you go, you could make a drawing of your space on graph paper and also draw your furniture pieces on graph paper, cut them out and shift them around to explore the possibilities.
    This is a great idea! My sewing/craft/office/guest room is nearly all ikea - it was affordable & all the pieces look good together. Mostly I have the inexpensive white table tops all along the wall of windows (I had to add shades for sunny days!); I have a no small one, a looooong one and a corner one (laptop & monitors are on that one). The long one has a center keg to stabilize it and two drawer units on each end instead of legs - sewing notions in one, offuce supplies etc in the other. I have the wide rolling Alex drawers under the short table- I have pegboard in the top drawer for thread, the rest hold pre-cuts and larger-than-a-fat-quarter-but-less-than-a-yard remnants. I have two Kallax shelves on the wall that hold yardage & pattern books. I just bought an inexpensive doing cart with 10 frosted white plastic drawers for storing scraps by color.

I think out of everything, the rolling Alex drawer is my favorite. I can roll it next to me & it becomes a trimming/ironing station too.