• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bernina2
    The Guild President
    • Oct 2014

Healthy vegetable salads

I’m looking for healthy vegetable salads.
    It seems all the recipes I find has bacon and
    cheese. Both great additions to a salad, but not
    healthy. Is there such a thing as a healthy salad ?
    I’m open to healthy suggestions. :-)
  • amartin24
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2014

Re: Healthy vegetable salads

Ahh - salads are my favorite! I always love trying new ones. This is one of my absolute favorites. You can eliminate the cheese if you want: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/reci...ue-cheese.html
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Comment

• DeniseSm
      Missouri Star
      • Nov 2013

I am a big fan of the Little Salad Bar kits from Aldis. Healthy, delicious, and an excellent value. Just stir and eat. Leaves me more time for quilting. Other grocery stores have similar precut kits. Here is my personal favorite

Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• Hulamoon
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2012

I know how you feel. I usually make 'kitchen sink' salads, everything goes in. Nuts, seeds, red cabbage, chick peas topped with gorganzola. But I ran across an article from Food & Wine that featured Italian salads. Some have meat but most are really healthy and different. I think the hardest thing about salads is getting away from starting with lettuce, that's why I always have shredded red cabbage in the fridge,

🌺 Lorie

Comment

• auntstuff
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2017

If you like saurkraut, you can make a salad with it. Drain well and add chopped celery and onion, a bit of red pepper flakes, sliced radishes, and Italian dressing, the vinegar and oil type. If you don't like the kraut, just use finely shredded cabbage.
          She who dies with the most quilts is......
          Still dead.
          What's your hurry?

Comment

• SuzyQue
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2010

I really don’t use recipes for salads, but instead start with mixed greens or red cabbage or kale, etc. I have a salad bar list on the fridge that lists all kinds of add ons and I just use what I have on hand at the time. I like variety and never make a salad exactly the same again, at least not for a long while! I try to include as much color as possible. I never add cheese. I use just a hint of a h8memade dressing or oil and vinegar or balsamic. I eat a lot of salads for dinner as our main and largest meal is at lunchtime.

Comment

• chelea
              Missouri Star
              • Mar 2012

this brussels sprout salad is yummy, lots of crunch:

Michele
              ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
              To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• URIBARRI-MAYOR
                Missouri Star
                • Nov 2013

I don´t usually participate in cooking questions because our way of cooking is different and some products I don´t know but salads are a dish of the world although in each country it is different. Our salads are seasoned with olive oil and vinegar or with Mahonesa an egg and oil sauce that is typical of a Mediterranean island. Well here I put two recipes that we use a lot, although there are many more, the first is the Spring salad and has lettuce (not cabbage) tomato, scallion and olives, it is very cheerful and can be accompanied by meat or fish, and the two is Bilbaina consisting of cooked potato, boiled egg, olives, peas, tomatoes, and asparagus, canned tuna with oil and a little venegar. Enjoy salads with whatever you like it is a fantastic way to eat

Comment

• Hulamoon
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by URIBARRI-MAYOR View Post
                  Bilbaina consisting of cooked potato, boiled egg, olives, peas, tomatoes, and asparagus, canned tuna with oil and a little venegar.
                  That reminded me of this salad. I used to order it a lot when I lived in California.

'This type of salad with potatoes, beans, cooked eggs, tomatoes, olives and tuna is a classic French Niçoise salad.'
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Murphy224
                    Applique Angel
                    • Feb 2016

This is my favorite winter time salad.
                    LEMON SPINACH SALAD
                    1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms
                    1 lb. young spinach leaves, washed and stemmed
                    6 Tbs. olive oil
                    2 Tbs. lemon juice
                    1/4 tsp. salt
                    1 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
                    1 clove garlic minced finely
                    Finely grated rind of 1/2 lemon
                    1 hard cooked egg
                    Freshly ground black pepper
                    Wash mushrooms and combine with spinach. Chill. Mix oil, lemon juice, salt, cheese and garlic. Chop up egg and sprinkle over salad. Add lemon rind to salad and grind pepper on top. Pour dressing over salad right before serving and toss.

Comment

• URIBARRI-MAYOR
                      Missouri Star
                      • Nov 2013

Hulamoon it seems some of the salads have reminded him of France and maybe he is right because my country has a border with France and we share a name Basque-French Country and also the way of eating and some typical products such as Espelette´s dried peppers in FEUSKADI- BASQUE COUN TRY.jpgSAN JUAN DE LUZ - BASQUE COUNTRY.jpgPIMIENTOS DE ESPELETE.jpgENSALADA DE VENTRESCA Y PIMIENTOS.jpgENSALADAS EN BILBAO.jpgrance like Guernica in Euskadi, apart from the foie-grass, the snails, the bonito from the north that is a special tuna from our coasts, salads and many other typical dishes that we share with great satisfaction. Here I put some photos of the Basque-French Country and some of our products

Comment

Working...
                      X