Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Flannel Fraying Fear

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Congratulations on your new sweetie pie! You got some good advice here. I would add that you should do a short backstitch at the start and end of your flannel blocks when you sew them together. I wpuld prewash the flannel if you haven't cut it up yet, then iron before cutting the blocks. Please show us a pic after you have the top together. Your plan sounds really cute. If you are doing the applique by hand buy a pkg of hand applique needles, they are a bit longer and thinner but makes the sewing easier to do.
    I'm buying the fabric on Friday. When I'm not following a specific pattern, I tend to take several days to plot it all out. And I'm a pre-washer/ironer of all my fabrics. For the applique, I plan on using the blanket stitch on my machine. It took a lot of practice but I've just about perfected it.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve developed an overall fear of my quilts falling apart and I’d like to share the story with you all.

I’ll be 66 in March and one of my sisters is 86 (yes, it’s true) and she lives about 1200 miles from me. I decided to make her a quilt and it turned out beautiful.…..except for that marking pen that’s supposed to wash out but didn’t. I wash my quilts when they’re done and before I send them off and, unfortunately, I didn’t notice that the washable markings didn’t wash out so I threw it in the dryer and that really set them.

I re-washed, scrubbed lightly with a toothbrush, used pre-wash, let it soak, tried hair spray and re-washed and re-washed and re-washed and re-washed. Then on the last wash, I dragged it out of the washer one last time and I was horrified to see that about 1/3 of it was completely shredded. I’m assuming that pulling and tugging when it was wet and heavy from the washer and then lightly scrubbing the markings so many times weakened the fabric.

So I started the arduous task of deconstructing it and replacing the pieces that frayed. I was about 8 hours into it when I burst into tears, put my head on the quilt and just sobbed. And then I heard my adored (and long deceased) Mom whisper it my ear “Don’t cry, sweetheart. Stick with it.” And so I did. Many, many hours later, it was redone with no markings and sturdy as could be.

My sister adores that quilt and drags into her house every person that walks down her street to show them. All in all, it was a surreal and magical experience.

But not one I want to go through again!

3. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nwmnteacher View Post
    Just an FYI, JoAnns new flannel doesn't shrink or fade, and it's softer than the other they carried.
    That's PERFECT! JoAnn's is the exact place I'm getting the fabric at on Friday! And my JoAnns has a huge selection.
    Last edited by Libits; January 9th, 2020 at 01:07 AM.