• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BarbaraB
    Designer Diva
    • Dec 2016

Rotary Cutter Size

Good Morning Everyone,
    Yesterday my daughter found an ad on Facebook for Stonehenge fabric that she fell in love with, so she asked me if I would make her a quilt. I of course said yes. She doesn't care what pattern or how I make it....she just wants that fabric. I purchased the Old Mill Path quilt pattern and a Drunkard's Path template. I've never done anything other than straight lines, so I'm pretty excited about this.

My question is.....what size rotary cutter should I use to cut the fabric if I'm using the template?

Thanks for your help, hope you have a wonderful day!!!
    Barbara
  • redcaboose1717
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2011

Re: Rotary Cutter Size

Most people usually use a 45mm rotary cutter for most things.
    MSQC has a Drunkard's Path tutorial...
    Here's the one I am going to make later on this year:

Jenny uses a 45mm Rotary Cutter for this tutorial.

Here's MSQC Old Mill Path Quilt Tutorial as well:
    Jenny Doan demonstrates how to make another beautiful variation of the drunkards path using 10 inch squares of precut fabric (layer cakes) For this project she chose Northport Prints Layer Cake by Minick & Simpson for Moda Fabrics. The inspiration for this quilt came from an antique1929 pattern by the name of The M

This is the link for all the things needed to make the Old Mill Path Quilt from Missouri Star:
    Jenny Doan demonstrates how to make another beautiful variation of the drunkards path using 10 inch squares of precut fabric (layer cakes) For this project she chose Northport Prints Layer Cake by Minick & Simpson for Moda Fabrics. The inspiration for this quilt came from an antique1929 pattern by the name of The M

thEFZ19MB6Toaster Gar.jpg
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; January 6, 2020, 05:32 AM.
    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• auntstuff
      Missouri Star
      • Nov 2017

Smaller is easier for curves.
      She who dies with the most quilts is......
      Still dead.
      What's your hurry?

Comment

• Bubby
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2011

If I remember correctly Jenny used her 45mm in the tutorial. I made two sample blocks and found that my 28mm cutter worked better. This was not a simple block for me, even taking my time and trying to sew like Jenny. Be sure to make a sample block before you cut into your beautiful fabric.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          Missouri Star
          • Aug 2015

You might want to google the Sew Kind of Wonderful tutorials on how to sew curves. Her method worked great when I did my bird song op.
          Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• oldmanquilts
            Designer Diva
            • May 2018

My go-to for everyday fabric cutting is a 28. I have a couple styles of grips in each size and the straight stick 28 offers the best result for me. It steers easier and is less likely to get off line due to a not so stable stroke, when using a vertical position. Being smaller in diameter the cutting angle entering the fabric is optimum. There's less cutting edge exposed to the edge of the ruler so less risk of rolling the edge. Being smaller, the blade flexes less and the cutting edge angle is more for stability and less prone to damages which may nick a larger size. Overall I tend to get twice the "sharp" life out of a 28. It feels safer just looking at the smaller blade, and I have no doubt it is. The downside of a 28 is it's lack of ability to cut too thick a stack, especially with a bit thicker template or ruler.

Blades? That's a whole 'nother trip. Given my druthers I'll take a Fiskars anytime. I've tried several brands in hopes of saving some money. False economy. The favored brand with most here is probably Olfa. My local store was out of Fiskar 28s recently but Santa put some Olfa 28s in my stocking. Thank you! Anyway these were Kai manufacture. Don't know if this has been the case always, or for how long. Anyway, Kai is good stuff and for you Olfa folks you might be able to find some less expensive blades in Kai packaging.
            You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• Claire Hallman
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2011

If there is any way to cut out your drunkard's path with a Go cutter it will make life easier for you. That cutter made the one I did easy to sew curves as it has a ^ built in to line things up.
              Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• jjkaiser
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2013

I use 28's for everything. When wandering around Joann's for replacement blades I think to myself "size of a quarter" cause my brain doesn't process those metric numbers. I always buy Fiskars. I rarely make blocks bigger than 8 inches so the small size seems more multi purpose for things I make.
                Jocelyn
                South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• BarbaraB
                  Designer Diva
                  • Dec 2016

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll be getting a 28mm cutter. I wish I could use a die for my Accuquilt but when I looked at them the largest was about 7". Maybe after I cut a few manually I'll reconsider, but for now......
                  Barbara

Comment

Working...
                  X