Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fires downunder

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fires downunder

Just thought I'd like to share with you the devastation and heartbreak that is occurring in Oz at the moment. It's unbelievable and very scary what's happening. The whole South Coast of New South Wales is, or has been, ablaze. Temperatures have been soaring, lives have been lost, people displaced, holiday makers plans disrupted, wildlife destroyed, stock suffering, evacuated people sleeping in cars overnight ....... the list goes on.

But what really is tugging at my heart is that my little town of Talbingo came under siege yesterday. I moved over to Canberra just over a year ago but left my heart and friends in Talbingo. Just to give you a picture about Talbingo - it's a very small close knit community of about 300. Surrounded by bush it's also home to Tumut 3 Power station so there's a couple of dams close by. A very popular place for holiday makers. There's only 1 sealed road in and out. The nearest shopping centre is 50kms away.

On New Years Day all holiday makers were evacuated as there was an advancing fire front. That fire hit yesterday afternoon about 4pm turning daylight into midnight. Fortunately there was no loss of life in Talbingo but 3 houses lost, a lot of tree damage, roofs blown off by the windstorm created, and leaving a lot of traumatised people. The community was evacuated to the local Country Club. Communications are down so have been unable to talk to anyone there.

I had a very restless night thinking about my friends and the lovely house I left behind. Woke up this morning and Canberra was shrouded in smoke with a very eerie orange glow in the sky. There have been other fires between Sydney and Canberra too over the last few weeks so smoky air is becoming the normal thing. However today it was catastrophic. Apparently the reading for bad air is 200 - Canberra was over 2500 today!! People were warned not to go outside unless they really had to.

At the moment Canberra is not under immediate threat but today I did get a few things together just in case. And after that did what any one in their right mind would do to escape the reality of the situation - did some patchwork!!!!!!

Thanks for reading my little rant. Just thought you all might like to know what's happening down under.

Cheers Chris

2. Thanks MSN, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fires downunder

Chris,
    I am so sorry to hear about this....This is so sad. I'm sorry you have to leave your home to be safe too.
    It's great that you have a craft like quilting to help you during times like this. I find that when I'm stressed is when I do my best sewing!!
    Take care!!
    ((((HUGS)))

Name:  child kneeling.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  4.6 KB

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Chris,
    I am so so sorry and I’ve been thinking of you everyday. It is such a sad situation. Praying for you and your countryside.
    Shirley

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry you're having to go through this. Praying for strength for your country and all those fighting these fires.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've been watching the fires on the news each night. So devastating! I hope you don't have to flee again. God bless.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Chris,
    My heart goes out to you and everyone going through this devastation in Australia. We see news updates of the fires daily on our weather channel and cannot imagine the trauma, sadness and disruption of lives. They said that the fires were 20x the size of the Fort McMurray, Alberta fire a few years ago, where 50k+ people were displaced. It would not have been contained if not for firefighters who came from around the globe to help. I know Canadian firefighters are there to help, biut this is so vast.

I pray that you will be safe, and you are wise to be prepared for quick evacuation. I'm certain you will bring some quilting to maintain your sanity. Hugs sent your way.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts and prayers for your whole country.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

OH goodness, i do hope the fires don't come your way. Many years ago I had an online quilter friend living in Canberra. She lost her home then, so i know it can happen. Pray for the firemen and all helpers. Take care.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It is heartbreaking reading of the devastation in Oz. Stories, videos and pictures are every where. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Praying for all of you down under.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop