Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tips for quilting without pain & fatigue

The right heigth an the right light for every task. You need higher surfaces for cutting and ironing than for sewing. And plenty of natural daylight or additional lamps.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried to research ergonomic fixes for everything in my sewing studios, from machine height to chair height to cutting table height to reach on LA. I have an anti fatigue mat that I stand on when cutting and LAing. I place most used items at proper placements to easily reach and hang rulers near the cutting table. I use an adjustable chair with the added sit upon support by Gypsy quilter. I have cords tucked up and attached to under table tops so no trip hazards. I sit square at my machine, no angles. I have proper and bright lighting to reduce eye strain. I keep all supplies within reach, but neatly stored away to have easy access, but reduce clutter strain on my brain. I keep my ironing board across the room to force movement often. I keep my tea or water nearby to stay hydrated.....also causes me to walk upstairs to the rest room enough. I use a stereo, iPad, or DVDs for entertainment and education as I sew. I dance and walk with my LA so I am not stretching too far. I stop every other pass on the LA and shrug my shoulders and do a few stretches to relieve neck and back tension. I try to use proper posture, but need to adjust this often! I stand with my legs shoulder wide when cutting, ironing, and using the LA. I wear shoes if using the LA for long periods of time, but not when using the sewing machine. I use a fan, fireplace, and air purifier for comfort. I diffuse scents I love to relax.

This makes me sound so OCD.....but I just set things up properly and added little bits as I noticed fatigue or stress pain issues. I love to sew and quilt for hours, so I need to be able to do it safely. My studio is my sanctuary. A few simple changes allows me to really enjoy this hobby.

3. Thanks DeniseSm, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The ergonomics of sitting and sewing all day is bad for you. My body does not complain until I get up. I learned a long time ago to find a different way. I use a buffet table and stand while sewing or quilting at it. My feet and ache of standing easily cries out to me to take a break. I also use my buffet for cutting. My back does not have to bend to make cuts. This has been more than productive for me. And no visitís to the chiropractor! I have heard of people raising their cutting table with pvc, or bed risers. I tried this out at our sewing group meet, this worked well for me.
    If you must sit, sit as if you have a tail. It relaxes your core and is better for your lower back. Sitting like this everywhere will reduce stress on your muscles in your back and give you better stamina, simply sitting the right way.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/