Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longarm machine question: Baby Lock = Handi Quilter?

Hi, all. I've just purchased a used longarm machine, a Baby Lock Regalia. I'm very excited about it!

My research suggests that it's the same machine as the Handi Quilter Amara, just sold under a different brand/name. Can anyone confirm whether that's the case, please?

If so, I'm wondering whether the Pro-Stitcher sold under the Handi Quilter label would work on the Baby Lock. Like, is that identical, too?

(I don't have a local Baby Lock dealer, so I'd have to buy the Pro-Stitcher online without local support, which I'm reluctant to do. I do have a Handi Quilter dealer, but they aren't sure about the BL/HQ situation.)

Thanks for any help you can give.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Longarm machine question: Baby Lock = Handi Quilter?

Hi and welcome. I'm not sure about an answer, but babylock is usually pretty proprietary in their parts. Maybe you can call a dealer of Babylock machines and ask them, wouldn't have to be one near you.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One dealer near me sells ProStitcher for HandiQuilter, Janome and Bernina machines. It very well could work on the BabyLock.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also suggest calling Babylock to see if it would work.

I was at Babylock headquarters a few years back and asked them why the machines look so much like Handiquilter. I was told that there are very few manufacturing plants to make machines and that all the companies use them. Babylock hires engineers to design their machines - I was told this by Kay Capps Cross who teaches longarm classes at Babylock headquarters. So the outside may look alike but the guts are probably a lot different.

I do like that rulers work on all the machines! I have a Babylock Crown Jewel II but I love Angela Walters rulers and she uses a Handiquilter.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

All of those machines look the same to me!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone. Some good food for thought here.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have a Babylock Regalia with Pro-Stitcher and I love it.

It was installed by the dealer during setup at my house but can be done after market. I recommend that you contact a Babylock dealer by phone and let the know what you're interested in. Maybe you can purchase from them and have it shipped to your home. If you have issues at least there is a primary point of contact. Depending on the dealer they might even travel a few hours to install for you for a fee.

There is some setup and special equipment involved with the installation beyond a tablet & software. A new carriage and tracks for your frame are needed and some extra hardware has to be mounted on the longarm head.

We just moved from Chicago to Los Angeles in October and I was really nervous about relocating the thing. I studied the setup, took photos and used color coded dots for all the connections, wires and frame parts then bubble wrapped everything. Movers took the frame parts but I brought the machine head, tablet and carriage in my car. Happy to report that it survived the trip and re-assembly ok. My husband put the frame back together and I did the Pro-Stitcher.

If you have specific question feel free to message me.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks! That's very helpful. Smart idea about the color-coded dots.