Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default tangled bobbin thread at start of seam

I have a Janome machine with a drop-in bobbin, and have noticed lately that nearly every seam I start when piecing has the bobbin thread tangled up in the stitches on the bottom side for the first half inch or so. Any ideas what causes this? I've cleaned several times, rethreaded several times, watched videos to make sure I have the bobbin loaded right.

I'm also finding that I have to have the upper tension quite high to get even stitches - much higher than I used to. Today, I'm struggling to get the tension balanced at all. (I do have a brand-new needle in.)

Interestingly...on the very first seam I sew after dropping in the bobbin, there's little to no nesting. On subsequent seams, there it is. I do use the automatic thread cutter when I end a seam, and I"m wondering if that is somehow leaving the bobbin tail in a bad position.

The next step I'm considering is adjusting the bottom tension, but I wanted to check here for advice first. Thank you!
    Last edited by wecoan; January 1st, 2020 at 04:29 PM. Reason: typo

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: tangled bobbin thread at start of seam

It is cutting the bobbin thread too short.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

3. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t use the thread cutter or use a leader and chain piece.

5. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I never use the thread cutter on my machines and always pull the top and bottom threads to the back when I start sewing or use a leader and ender.

https://www.allpeoplequilt.com/how-t...p-when-you-sew
    ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric and then sow it back together again? Really?"

7. Thanks TMP thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately they’re right - the thread cutter cuts the thread too short and it tangles at the start. I have a Janome too, and have the same issue. Disappointing, because I love the theory. I have wondered if it’s a Janome problem or if all thread cutters do that.

I have had the tension issue too. Double check your bobbin, maybe even change bobbins, and check to be sure it’s seated right and going through the tension spring correctly . My machine sometimes gets finicky when the bobbin gets low on thread. Double check your top threading too. If you decide you need to adjust the bobbin tension, make very small adjustments, a little bit makes a big difference. Good luck!
    If you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Pfaff (Passport 3.0) and the thread was also being cut too short as well. I had to keep rethreading the needle every few times I used it. When I had it serviced, I asked them to adjust it. The thread is now being cut a little longer and is working properly.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Remove your throat plate. Clean/delint your feed dogs. I hope this resolves your issue. Happy New Year!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I sew on an old vintage Singer 15-91 and sometimes have bobbin thread tangles too. However, when I use leaders and enders I never have that problem. I've made severeal "extra" quilts from my leaders and enders.
    Lynne in central Illinois

Jeremiah 29:11

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

As others have mentioned, it's likely the cause is the auto-cutter leaving the tails too short. Using leaders/enders will control tension on both threads at the beginning of a seam, but I find that holding just the top thread adequate to eliminate the mess at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by wecoan View Post
    Interestingly...on the very first seam I sew after dropping in the bobbin, there's little to no nesting. On subsequent seams, there it is.
    That's due to the bobbin thread is captured by the cutting slot when first loading a bobbin.

Adjusting bobbin thread tension? Not on a top-loading Janome. Bobbin tensioning is automatic and can't be adjusted without procedures NOT specified by Janome. Be sure you bobbin thread is under this spring when threading. Placing the plastic cover on/in the needle plate will create the tension.

When you remove the needle plate and bobbin case for cleaning, make sure you "floss" under the spring. Lint under the spring will change tension. Your problem isn't tension, but control of the threads at the start of a seam is.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

13. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, everyone!! I started using a leader, as suggested, and it at least keeps the tangle off my blocks! I'm also going to try giving the feed dogs and bobbin spring area a good cleaning, as suggested. I'm sure I missed those spots in my cleaning.

15. Thanks Babs quilts thanked for this post