Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Just VENTING Give credit when you steal my designs

Oh I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I would expect the least she could do is acknowledge it is based on your design, and hers is not original. Unfortunately there are way too many who claim other's ideas, and with posting on social media, this is another hacker's dream.

I took a class last year, where the teacher said she took the idea from Internet but didn't want to pay for pattern. That upset me. I told the owner of the LQS, that I wouldn't take any other classes from that teacher.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Denise your block is beautiful and congratulations on winning the contest in 2018.

But I'm going to be the fly in the ointment...
    You entered a contest to create a two colored gemstone, that probably a 100 other people (if not more) entered.

Is it not possible Ms Nelson also entered the contest and that out of all the other participants that she also used the same shape and colors as you, with a different layout?

I'm not saying that's what happened, but asking you to consider the possibility.

3. Thanks Squeaky, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline T. View Post
    Denise your block is beautiful and congratulations on winning the contest in 2018.

But I'm going to be the fly in the ointment...
    You entered a contest to create a two colored gemstone, that probably a 100 other people (if not more) entered.

Is it not possible Ms Nelson also entered the contest and that out of all the other participants that she also used the same shape and colors as you, with a different layout?

I'm not saying that's what happened, but asking you to consider the possibility.
    In the spirit of peace on earth good will to men I went back and looked at all the contest entries for Aug 2018. I was the only Ametrine block entered in the contest. There were no entries at all submitted by Jayne Nelson or her alias RadiantQuiltsOlympia. Let us also assume that she is not the person who contacted me on Dec 19th through the Missouri Star forum asking if I would list specifically which fabrics I used in my gemstone recolorations. My Ametrine block was also shown on the Quilt Show.

A simple byline of inspired by Denises Ametrine so I made my own version would have been the charitable thing to do
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

5. Thanks VintageGalAnnie, giig21, toggpine, cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa whoa whoa! I didnt know somebody contacted you through the Forum asking exactly what fabrics you used. I take it this was not someone that you knew or a Forum regular. That woman has a lot of nerve! Do you think it is the same person as the copycat? I remember the quilt you made so well. It was one of your prettiest ones and each block truly represented a real gemstone. All those tiny pieces, just slivers in places, and all that hard work! Now I am mad all over again for you!! It's just not fair.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree hers is ugly. Sorry but it is. Yours is way better.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

When you entered the contest, did you give up the rights to your original design? Just wondering because sometimes that’s part of the fine print. I understand how you feel. I have friends who are quilt designers and I can’t believe how nonchalant some people are about photocopying and ‘sharing’ patterns. And with social media, it gets even trickier. I might never post a picture of one of my designs on social media, but what about the person who snaps a photo of one of my quilts at a show and posts it? That being said, if you have documentation from the contest you entered, you have a form of proof that you came up with the design first, I would think. And...I do like yours much more than hers.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would also be upset also. Her block looks rather amateurish compared to yours. I always enjoy looking at the creations you post.

I had to look her up guess I am being nosey and this came up. Am I correct understanding that she is teaching classes using your design for MJ Kinman, Textile Artist ? Maybe contact them and see if they will respond. I am sure they aren't offering the classes for free.
    Last edited by TMP; January 2nd, 2020 at 10:36 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Denise, thank you for considering the possibilities. It does seem her actions are less than professional (to say the least).

I agree with everyone else, your block is beautiful and hers does look...well hers looks like she took two separate practice blocks and chopped them in half then stitched the two colorways together. It looks sloppy and her block is wonky. Not at all the quality I would expect from someone who was teaching the technique.

I hope you get the recognition, an apology and the resolution you are entitled to.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    In August 2018 I entered a contest to combine two gemstone patterns and create a new bicolored gemstone. I used the Amethyst block and recolored it to be a bi colored Ametrine. I am used to being copied. I take it as a compliment. But at least give me some credit for the original design.
    Denise- as much as I've admired your "birthstone blocks" and the skills required for piecing, I have to question when credit is due. You state "original design," but is it really? The original pattern is of course from MJ Kinman. Your choice of Ametrine coloration may or not be original, and I'm not sure one can claim color choices as "original" designs. There's only so many segments on the color wheel, and it's likely more than one quilter has similar tastes, so we see similarities in different folks' presentation. Since her block does not mimic yours exactly I'd call it a vague coincidence, not a copy.

Contacting you for specific fabrics used? If I were making these blocks I'd want to know. The colors and fabric work so well for this block. Rather than experiment I would ask so I could be certain mine would "pop" like yours do. I'd thank you for your response of course, but credit... for originality? Only if due. It's not feasible, or necessary, to credit "where we seen it" every time we make something. Especially if it's NOT really original, and color choices are not original designs, but preferences.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

12. Thanks Granny Fran thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I had thoughts on you saying someone had stolen your design, but I refrained, according to you, no one else could have had the same pattern. My question is this, Under your theory, I guess Donna Jordan, has stolen the Mirror Mirror pattern from Henry Glass. Only his was copy righted in 2017 by Heidi Pridemore. You were wrong saying your pattern was stolen
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Henry Glass.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	162436
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Eleanor Roosevelt