Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shirt quilt advice and tips?

Ok, it's not a T shirt quilt exactly. I have several of my brother's Hawaiian shirts that I want to make a memorial quilt. They are either 100% cotton or 100% rayon. A couple have a linen like texture that makes them feel light and airy. I cut a few pieces to experiment on and I'm coming up with some questions.

Do I need to iron on a stabilizer as for T shirt quilts? The linen like fabrics seem to have a lot of movement. Not stretchy, but I can easily get them out of shape just by tugging a corner.

If I need a stabilizer what (in your opinion) would be best? And should I use it on all the fabrics?

I'm wondering if I should use an overlock type stitch? Would this help with any fraying or should I stick with stabilizer and straight stitch?

I've never made a T shirt quilt and I'm searching the internet I'm getting both use and don't use stabilizer. I know T shirt material curls and stretches, but these shirts do not curl (some were expensive!).

My brother passed unexpectedly three years ago Christmas Eve, and it's taken me this long to finally decide on a design and start cutting those shirts I definitely want it to be a testament to his memory and an heirloom.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Shirt quilt advice and tips?

We need Jean Sewing Machine to chime in on this one. I know she did a quilt from Hawaiian shirts that turned out so cute. She would be the "expert" to ask.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for your loss : (

I have lived in Hawaii for forty years and I know all the fabrics you mention. You don't need to stabilize them, but rather treat them like any other fabric you purchase. I would first de-bone them all to get as much usable pieces as you can use and do something like a D9P or you can just use the backs. Cut them all the same size and patch them together with or without borders. My mother in law made a lot of Hawaiian quilts for all the family. I'll go hunt them down.

Google search..
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...lt&FORM=HDRSC2

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I put some of her quilts in my album. As you can see she did the same pattern for everyone. People just gave her squares all the time. lol Anyway, she made 'summer quilts' with no batting and no quilting. She really wasn't a quilter, but a gifter

https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/al...p?albumid=2303

One was falling apart, so I took a picture to explain to the family how she made them. My Dh was the baby and we got the most quilts in a huge family. hee hee

Lorie

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Wow love all those quilts!

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a close up of one of the "linen like" fabrics. You can barely see the printing on my ironing pad under it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP4628.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	162047

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that's barkcloth. It's used a lot over here. It shrinks like crazy, but if they were washed a lot there is a stopping point so to speak. I had a couple of button downs and always sized up. It gets really soft after awhile.

Lorie

9. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I would say that's barkcloth. It's used a lot over here. It shrinks like crazy, but if they were washed a lot there is a stopping point so to speak. I had a couple of button downs and always sized up. It gets really soft after awhile.
    I does look and feel like bark cloth! I wasn't sure if it was an actual cotton fabric, but apparently it is. It is very soft and flexible.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the pattern below. Sorry the link is so long. In the even Jean doesn't chime in, I think this is the pattern that Karen was referring to. The quilt is super cute and perfect for Hawaiian shirts.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/7024534...cc4e0f691790c9

12. Thanks Old Newbie, Apache Lady thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There is another style that a woman from here designed. It was actually hanging in one of my local shops for awhile

Postcards From Hawaii

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	postcardstex.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	162050

https://lisaboyer.com/pagepc2.htm

Lorie