Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default quilt basting spray

I have used June Taylor brand spray for many years and loved it. The last batch of cans I purchased I hate! They change the formula-why change a good thing? DH and I basted my first full sized quilt with this junk today, the nozzles clogged and the product sputtered and dripped all over. We tried to clear out the nozzles and our hands but nothing seems to have worked. I now have the nozzles soaking in nail polish remover hoping that works. Anyone have suggestions? I am afraid that this will gunk up my needle while quilting.
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: quilt basting spray

If that doesn't work, email the company and see what they tell you to do.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

3. Thanks toggpine thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's all I have ever used but have not purchased any recently. Does it say on the can that the formula has changed? Any wording like "new and improved"? Hopefully you just got a bad batch and they will replace it.
    Donna

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwil23 View Post
    That's all I have ever used but have not purchased any recently. Does it say on the can that the formula has changed? Any wording like "new and improved"? Hopefully you just got a bad batch and they will replace it.
    No, there is nothing obvious on the can but it does have a shaker ball inside and a larger nozzle on the top. I heard/read that if you look at the ingredients they are slightly different.

Beth aka Asta

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

505 hands down. Low odor, works well.
    Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

7. Thanks quiltingaway, Trudy A thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

That's all I use too, after some comparison with other brands. Good bond, very decent smell, tolerable over-spray, doesn't foul needles, and it's cheap at Walmart.

The packaging changed but the formula seems the same. They changed can suppliers and the new can has a ball as default from mfr. It's not necessary- just there. The nozzle is another issue however and I suspect, a big part of your problem. It's not comfortable, and the angle on top makes it tough to press the nozzle fully. This will cause clogs- sputters- poor atomization, etc. Nozzles from the old cans won't work either.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanquilts View Post
    That's all I use too, after some comparison with other brands. Good bond, very decent smell, tolerable over-spray, doesn't foul needles, and it's cheap at Walmart.

The packaging changed but the formula seems the same. They changed can suppliers and the new can has a ball as default from mfr. It's not necessary- just there. The nozzle is another issue however and I suspect, a big part of your problem. It's not comfortable, and the angle on top makes it tough to press the nozzle fully. This will cause clogs- sputters- poor atomization, etc. Nozzles from the old cans won't work either.
    The formula on the June Taylor has changed, it is much stickier now. The odor is also much stronger.

Beth aka Asta

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fairly certain the formula has changed. I bought a can recently. The smell was overpowering. After using on a small quilt I had to open the window and use a box fan to blow fresh air into the room. It was never this strong in the past. I did get some on my hands and it was very, very sticky and hard to wash off. Thankfully I didn't have any problem with machine quilting.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have never used spray basting. I have no outdoors area in which to spray. I was afraid to use it in the bsmt. due to the gas HWH & furnace. I've always pin basted.

12. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Received this a short time ago...
    Hi Beth,

Thank you for reaching out to June Tailor about the basting spray you purchased. We did have to make some changes due a law change in regulations. We have since revised it and it is as close to our original as possible while staying within the new regulations. The bottom of the can will start with a batch number of 19214. We also have now changed the label to blue and purple so that you will know that you have the new spray. This batch has already hit the shelves, depending on where you purchase it from and how quickly they go through the product. In fact some places already have the new label on their shelves.

To help remove any excess gumming on your needle, you can use rubbing alcohol or Goo Gone works as well. As always we recommend using a light hand when spraying.

Thank you!

Renee Fazekas

June Tailor, Inc

Customer Care Associate

It was nice of them to respond but I won't be trying this product again.

Beth aka Asta