Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mountain Mist batting

I was checking on MSQC machine quilting and noticed they switched to Mountain Mist batting. Trying to do a little reading on it but I can't find MM 80/20 packaged batting on the MSQC site. Went to the Mountain Mist site where it says it's sold at Hobby Lobby, Amazon and Michael's. Joann has poly MM and a 100% cotton version, which is called Cream Rose. I've used this in the past and wasn't too impressed. The Mountain Mist website is pretty skimpy...not much info about the company at all. Any recommendations as to the quality of the 80/20 product?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mountain Mist batting

Sorry, I've never heard of Mountain Mist batting. I've used Hobbs 80/20 for several yrs. I also like Quilters Dream 70/30, but don't want to pay their prices.

Later: I decided to browse to learn more about this product. It looks like most of the batting is 100% polyester. I also saw a wool blend. The company has been around a long time. Their products are sold at Amazon, Hobby Lobby, etc. Not a product I would purchase, since I like the 80/20.
    Last edited by JCY; December 28th, 2019 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My late MIL was an excellent quilter with her own quilt shop, and she used Mtn Mist in all her quilts but she always used poly. She died in 2009 (but stopped quilting in about 2000) so that was probably before 80/20 was available or popular. I do know MM has been around for a long time. If you call the company they might send you some samples. I did that with Quilters Dream. They sent samples in a little book. I was so happy to get it but when I looked for it a few weeks ago I could not find it in my sewing room anywhere! Those gremlins must've hid it when I was wrapping Xmas gifts.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; December 28th, 2019 at 11:42 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm familiar with Mountain Mist but I don't use it - by the way, this site seems to have a lot of info: http://mountainmistcrafts.com/
    I stick with Hobbs 80/20 and love it.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

What are the advantages/disadvantages for using a polyester batting versus a cotton or 80/20 cotton? I have never used an all polyester batting.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure about the warmth factor but poly is a lot puffier so will make a fatter chunkier looking quilt. Another thing to be aware of is if you are making something for children I think poly might be more flammable than 80/20. I also vaguely recall that poly has a greater tendency to beard.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; January 2nd, 2020 at 08:34 PM.

7. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I never thought about flammability. I looked at the Fairfield website because I just purchased a poly batting for a flannel baby quilt that I'm going to tie. Here's what they said about the subject:

"Are Fairfield’s Products Flame Retardant?
    Fairfield’s does not chemically treat its products to prohibit burning. 100% polyester products are flame retardant by nature because they will not burn unless they are in direct contact with a flame. Fairfield products made from, or blended with, natural fibers are not flame retardant, nor have they been treated for flame resistance."

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this info

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

they are years and years old. i got a free princess feathers pattern from them as I remember. one reason for their name to stick in my head. but all businesses have changed these days and most not for the better. can't tell you more on them though.
    Regarding poly batting, one reason it's not recommended for childrens bedding, clothing is the way it burns. melts really. can be very bad burns that way. but only 20% poly should be good I guess. it's what i use.
    Last edited by nativetexan; January 3rd, 2020 at 01:05 AM.