Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: QUESTION FOR 2020....

Love reading all of these! In 2020, I'm hoping to get caught up on a bunch of baby quilts and other projects, and hopefully put a serious dent in my stash (which seems to grow like the dust bunnies under the couch).

Barb, I'm sorry about your hand - I keep a tube of Aspercreme in my desk at work, as my thumbs seem to be quitting on me of late. It does help, but it's why I don't even attempt to do much hand sewing. I've always machine-stitched my binding, as I can't manage sewing by hand for that long, and by the time I get to that stage, I'm so excited about finishing the quilt that I want it to go as fast as possible! Looking forward to seeing all your work in the coming year!

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

This has been fun to read.....of course I'd like to finish all the quilts I've started, but the year has been challenging for me, healthwise. Yesterday I was looking through my boxes of feet for my Bernina and realized that I own all these feet for special applications, and I don't use them. So I think that may be my goal for the coming year. Hand sewing is just about out of the question for me any more due to arthritis, but decorative effects on quilt blocks using these feet I've collected is very doable. I may not crank out quilts, but it could be highly entertaining.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MHG Winnower View Post
    Hand stitching is beautiful and if it is a quilt which would be considered an heirloom, then hand stitching is the way I would go.

I machine stitch almost all bindings, particularly for items which will get a ton of use and need to be washed/dried and done over and over. I find it more pleasing if I use the backing to bind. Lots of tuts out there. The best thing about it is that you don't have to think about stitching in the ditch on the back as you would if you used the more general method of binding a quilt and then machine stitching from the front.

I also use a fiskars ruler/rotary cutter tool. Love it for it's accuracy, safety and gentle on my hands. Here's a site which has them https://allstitch.com/products/fiska...yABEgKfTPD_BwE
    Places like Joann's, Amazon, etc. carry them as well.

Here's a sample of front and back of this method Attachment 161933 The back is on the top; front, of course on the bottom of the picture. So if you sewed evenly on the top, the back has a nice even and clean stitching all around. You can get super sharp miters by using a method that is used for napkins like this one https://www.supermomnocape.com/how-t...?cn-reloaded=1
    Trick to make the miters work well is to start sewing in the middle of one of the sides that is not on the bias.
    I have a question: does washing the quilt (and any resulting shrinkage) spoil the look of the quilt? Does it get wonky?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to get back to sewing. I lost motivation last year due to so many other things going on and DH's illness. I did really well with not buying more fabric. I'd like to finish up some UFOs and make a quilt for each of my sons. We'll see how that goes. At least I'm thinking in the right direction.

5. Thanks toggpine thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So cool to read everyones responses. For me I am like a couple others, I would like to do some curved piecing. But first, like many here, I need my mojo of sewing back. I battle health issues and work stress issues. I am going to focus on what I like to do this coming year. Get back to sewing, do some of the curved piecing, take a class or two, or three at a local quilt shop, I already signed up for classes in February and March. Sewing and quilting is fun and I need this fun back in my days.

I think we can all reach our goals and continue to support each other. Hugs to all.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

7. Thanks toggpine thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chelea View Post
    I have a question: does washing the quilt (and any resulting shrinkage) spoil the look of the quilt? Does it get wonky?
    Never had a problem with any distortion or wonky using the backing as binding! I have to say that I always wash and machine dry my fabrics before using them.
    Thank you for asking.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My goal is to quilt more in 2020. I lost my sewjo during the second half of 2019. I had been focusing on smaller appliqué projects (wallhangings, etc), because they were quick to finish. I would like to work on piecing larger projects, preferably without appliqué...although there are a couple of appliqué projects in the pipeline!

I would also like to spend some quality time with Suzie, my new Babylock Meridian (embroidery machine).

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

My goal is to make the quilts that I already have fabric and patterns/ideas for. I've gotten sidetracked with classes or blocks of the month this past year. There are at least five or six kits that I've made up for myself that I really want to complete in 2020.

11. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post