Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: QUESTION FOR 2020....

Claire..
    I just had to write and say that is exactly what i'm doing now! I'm with Bubby... the arthritic hands are getting into the knitting as well..just all of a sudden!
    I LOVE the serpentine stitch for binding!.. I have one machine set up just for that. Most of my work is for charity so the quicker the better. I'm hoping to slow down this year and find another passion... maybe amigurumi, or dolls...something that will take longer!
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think the skill I need most is to organize the way I prioritize my quilt making. I have so many ideas, patterns, stash, stash, stash that I get overwhelmed. At least now when I order fabric or backing I make a note of what quilt it is going to be used in. I have tried FMQ on several occasions, but find I am still most comfortable with stitch in the ditch or straight line quilting. My fav is always going to be hand quilting. I do not like the feel of the density of FMQ stitched quilts. Overall, the goal for this year is just to use up my stash.

I agree, hand stitching takes a toll on the hands.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

3. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am wanting to work on free motion quilting. I took a class this year and am hoping to get more practice in this year. The other thing that I want to learn is a new technique which is what I think I will be doing in a class in January.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Other things took me away from my machines, but when I can I would like to get into some art quilts too. As far as your hands I have a tough time too. I invested in some gloves and they help a lot. A little pricey but I figure if it helps, why suffer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I too love hand stitching the binding and will continue as long as I can. For 2019 I had decided to try my hand at EPP, and discovered a couple of things (nothing to do with arthritis though). I love it! and I now have small callouses, so I can hand sew longer without bruising my finger tips LOL.

I've been working on a Grandmother's Flower quilt since March and am almost done with the top. Early in the process I started thinking about the quilting of this quilt. I figured with all the hand stitching the pieces together, this quilt deserved to be hand quilted but I've tried that several years ago on another quilt and hated the process. So for this one I figured I would pay someone else to quilt it. But now that I'm near the finish line, I can't bare the thought of someone else finishing it for me, so I think I want to try hand quilting again, and for 2020 will be attempting Big Stitch Quilting.

7. Thanks EnumclawGramma, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My goal will be to just spend more time in my sewing room this year. Other things kept pulling me out of there, and I miss it. I also have projects that need to be finished in the worst way.
    I've set up the back-up machine at the dining table so I can sew while Em does her homework. She doesn't like to sit at the table by herself, but alo doesn't need my direct input on every part of her assignments either. I think this will be a happy medium. I'm there if she needs help with the tricky parts, company when she doesn't.
    I need to work on my FMQ too. I don't do as much of it, and therefore am a bit dodgy at it when I do want to use it.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

9. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Barb I am very sorry about your artitris, I have an inherited spine problem , so if I sew on the machine for a long time, the pain is very annoying, so my hand quilting is very relaxing but slow. This year I want to finish a Bargello that is in half and a grandmother´s garden that have for sandwich and quilting, will be two of my UFOs for this next year, I hope

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One of my goals next year will be to complete more of my UFO's. I have a lot of finished quilt tops waiting to be sandwiched & quilted. I also have some piecing projects (WIP) waiting for the blocks to be assembled. I need to practice FMQ with curved rulers. I do fine with the straight rulers.

In Jan. I had carpal tunnel release surgery on my L. wrist I still have soreness in that hand. Arthritis in my hands has been a new problem for me this year, too, Barb. I hate this growing old & not being able to do the things I used to do! I've sewn my bindings by machine for a long time. So much easier, quicker, & more secure than hand done, esp. for those baby quilts that will get repeated washings & plenty of use.

I just would like to find more time, period, to sew/quilt. I'm lucky if I can find an hour a day. Some days, no time at all.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My goal is try to sew about 5 days a week and use up some of my stash, although I was really a good girl this year and never went overboard buying more and more fabric just because I liked it. And I think I have finally tamed the Charm Pack Monster within me. Only bought about 6 CP this year. Next year I want to try some new things, zipper pouches maybe. I have zipper anxiety, does anybody else know what that is. Lol.

13. Thanks EnumclawGramma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Barb, have you tried hot wax treatments for your arthritis. I find it helps a lot. There is no shame in pmachine sewing the binding.

In 2020 I want to continue quilting my finished tops within a year. Last year, I joined the 2019 Fantastic Finishing Group, and it helped to refocus me to get things done. I joined the new group for 2020. I think there are only 3 UFO tops which carried over from 2019, but they were made in the last half of year. All my other UFO tops got wuilted, and more.

Next year I would like to do more paper piecing.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.