• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ktdid
    The Guild President
    • Dec 2018

sales tax

I don't know about anyone else, but I noticed MSQ is now charging sales tax for Oklahoma!
    Kate (Oklahoma)
    There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this
  • MRoy
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2011

Re: sales tax

Sales tax is charged for Ky too. Many states now require sales taxes be charged for online orders.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• Babs quilts
      Binding Belle
      • Sep 2018

Yup, cannot escape taxes.
      Just a fact of life.

Comment

• Simply Quilting
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2013

Unfortunately, it is not something that MSQC has any control over. More and more states are requiring sales tax for on-line orders. All I can think of it what a nightmare for all of these companies to try to pay the tax not only to all the various states but also any county and cities that require on-line sales tax to be paid.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2011

It seems to me it would make the most sense to charge tax where it is sold not where it is delivered.
          Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• blusk
            Administrator
            Block Queen
            • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
            It seems to me it would make the most sense to charge tax where it is sold not where it is delivered.
            That would make sense. That is not the way the laws are written, however!

Comment

• The_Last_Unicorn
              Batting Beauty
              • May 2016

It's a bummer, isn't it? FatQuarterShop has a better selection on some things, but I usually stuck with M* because I didn't have to pay sales tax. Now the playing field is evened out some between the two stores for me. M* charges a few dollars less for most precuts than FQS, but yardage for super-popular designers like Tula Pink or Kaffe Fassett are more expensive at M* than almost anywhere else. On the other hand, M* has more exciting daily deals on average. I like the way they display precuts, too - so many websites only show you the top layer of a layer cake or the outside of a jelly roll. Here I am rambling! lol

Over all, M* remains one of my favorite quilt shops.

Comment

• K. McEuen
                Super Moderator
                Missouri Star
                • Jan 2011

I noticed last week on Amazon that there was a notice that Amazon now has to charge sales tax for all sales in NM. States are finally starting to collect on internet sales everywhere.
                K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

• JCY
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2013

Did you know that any internet sales you had during the year, where no sales tax was added, you're supposed to report to your tax preparer how much tax wasn't collected? At least that's true in Colo. I don't know about other states. The last 3 or 4 yrs. I've had to go through all my internet purchases & figure out how much sales tax wasn't collected. It's a pain, so I don't mind the vendors collecting the tax. It's only state sales tax, not local. Our city charges 8.515% on all purchases except food. That can up in a hurry on a big ticket item.

Comment

Working...
                  X