Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Morning, Sunday! :)

Good Morning, Everyone ~ It promises to be a great weather day -- up into the 60's. There still is lingering snow (from our pre-Thanksgiving storm) on the ground on north facing yards & where it was piled up.

Yest. I went over to Staples to check out an HP laptop on sale. It had all the features I wanted, except the picture resolution wasn't that great, which was disappointing. We pulled up one of Jenny's tutorials on YT, the colors were not true. I had been all set to buy. I looked at the HP Pavillion which is only a 15.6" screen (I really want 17.3"), but I liked the features. Very good pic resolution. It doesn't have a DVD player, but I understand one can be purchased separately & just plugs into one of the USB ports. He also showed me an extra device where one can have more USB ports if one needs them. The last day of the sale on the Pavillion is Jan. 4, so I have more time to browse & see if anything else comes on sale after Christmas. I believe the last day of MS support for Windows 7 is Jan. 14, so I need to find something soon.

This afternoon, I think I'm going to devote to doing some sewing. I've been missing it. I might try that new "Happy Hearts" pattern. I have several layer cakes in my stash. I was thinking of using some of the Summer Breeze fabrics. Or maybe make another baby quilt. I won't be making one as large as Jenny showed.

Church this a.m. Then an afternoon to sew.

2. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Good Morning, Sunday! :)

Good morning Joy and all who follow,
    Today is our xmas get together with our kids and grandkids. We open gifts at our place in the afternoon and then will head out to a restaurant. It is kid friendly buffet and has everything traditional, salads and usual chinese food. I have all but given up cooking with everyone's food preferences, allergies and diets. This is one place that has something for everyone, although it's not like eating here. My DD informed me that the whole family has a cold, same one she & 2 kids had earlier this week. Great, I hope I can resist the bugs. Mom called and was happy she won $8 at bingo. I feel bad, I haven't visited this week. A GF called to say her mom is convalescing at mom's residence. That section is just down the hall, so she can visit. Mom will be happy.

I made 3 batches of sucre a creme yesterday, and realized I don't have enough small dessert cups, so ff to stores this morning.

Not much time, gotta get the morning going, so I can relax before the little darlings get here.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

4. Thanks toggpine, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone. Thanks Joy for starting us off this morning.

I have had a busy few days here. On Friday hubby and I headed to the city and purchased some seafood for New Years. I had a wee visit and lunch with my brother and sister-in-law and he gave me my Xmas gift. A few more stops along the way. I was tired by days end. Yesterday we had a tree hunting party at a friend's and then it was hubby's Xmas party.

Today starts the liquid diet in preparation for tomorrow. Oh yeah!! So I will keep myself busy doing stuff.

Our temperatures are on the rise again after an extremely couple of really cold days.

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Sunday everyone. We seem to be out of our in-the-teens cold snap and it will get up into the 40's today and 50's tomorrow. So glad we're past the winter solstice with the days getting longer from now on.
    I'm happy Christmas is fast approaching. I'm still doing a little last minute scrubbing around here but otherwise I'm all decorated, shopped, wrapped and most of the food is in the house. Prime rib and antipasto fixins will get picked up tomorrow and I'll start baking then too. Cranberry bread for Christmas morn, apple pie and a cheesecake. The first of the family arrives this evening and with that, I'll breathe a sigh of relief. All the prep is done so it's time to relax and enjoy everyone's company. This is the first year hubs and I aren't exchanging gifts at all, though I did pick up a pen he had his eye on while we were out shopping for the kids.
    Quilt-wise, I haven't done a thing since finishing the baby quilt and tree skirt earlier this month. Once Thursday rolls around, I'm turning my attention to my Gypsy Wife homework because the next class is Jan 4th. Charity sew is on hiatus until the 6th.
    Joy, maybe I missed it, but why aren't you upgrading Windows vs. buying a new computer?
    Have a great Sunday everyone and Happy Christmas!

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning! It is a sunny day here, with a predicted high of 50! That's great for this time of year.

I'm enjoying a second cup of tea. I just finished squaring up my sister's quilt. What a chore that was! I had never squared up a jelly roll race before. It was wonky, and I ended up trimming more than I would have liked. It's as close to square as I can get. I could fuss with it all day, but it would probably end up the size of a pot holder when I was done! I will work on the binding this afternoon. It may not be finished until tomorrow.

This afternoon I will go grocery shopping and visit Mom. Her move is fast approaching! I wonder how my sister will handle her freedom. I have been encouraging her to check out the local senior centers, whether she will or not, I don't know.

Have a great day!

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Julie, that was my experience in squaring up the one jelly roll race quilt I made, and it was quilted at MSQC so I can't blame it on the quilter, haha.

12. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good afternoon everyone. Getting here later today because I decided to just hit the day running this morning. First thing after breakfast was getting a big pot of sauce started. It will be for our pasta dinner today and then also for the Chicken Parm on Christmas Eve. After all the onions and garlic were chopped and saute'd and the sausage browned and the tomatoes added and simmering, I got started on the baking. Yesterday I did 16 dozen cookies and I don't know how many peanut butter balls. Today was 12 mini loaves of the lemon blueberry cake and also one bundt cake of the same. Some of the mini's will be for gifts and the bundt cake is for Christmas Day at hubby's brother's house. The mini's are done and the bundt is in the oven now, the kitchen is cleaned up with the dishwasher running so I have time to just sit for a bit with a cup of tea. I have a couple of gifts to wrap but that will be it for today.

The weather has warmed up here and it looks like we will have a fairly nice day for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We will be traveling up to Rob and John's on Christmas Eve morning. We will celebrate with them as well as my sis and her hubby, spend the night there and then on Christmas Day we will drive to New Jersey to my bil and sil. So I am hoping that the weather is good for traveling.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday all.
    Last edited by Ginny B; December 22nd, 2019 at 04:41 PM.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just popping in for a bit of lunch with you all!
    After having the barn cleaning girl over yesterday morning, I took Mom out for a "bit" of shopping. We did the bulk of her stuff on Amazon this year. That was a nice change for her, although she still hasn't made friends with her Kindle tablet and its more like hostage negotiations with her laptop to get that working!
    Thankfully Costco had the scooter carts, although the other patrons might wish the operators had driver licensing requirements! From there we went to Walmart, where there were NO go-carts available. She did really well walking with the regular cart as an assist. Our final stop was Safeway so she could pick up a prescription and the sausages she needed for her mac n cheese for Christmas dinner. She was tired by the time we got home, but that was probably good for her.
    We stayed up way too late last night to watch Saturday Night Live. He reprised some of his most famous characters, and was pretty funny.
    I have some baking to get underway, gifts to wrap, and some work to do in the sewing room. None of which I'm feeling any urgency to accomplish. I'm having an underlying case of apathy this year. There are gifts for everyone, the tree is up, Mom's house has lights & decorations, and meh. OK.
    I should be more invested as I am aware that this may be one of our last "normal" Christmases with my parents' & sister's looming health issues. I just can't quite get there. I guess we'll just go simple, enjoy the food, laugh at the quirky gifts, and go from there.

Off to see what kind of mess I can make in the kitchen!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Afternoon All,

It's Sunday, not what I thought when I woke up. lol, I was thinking it was still Saturday. Oh well. Once Mike slammed the door and I realized it was Sunday and he left at 7, I had to hustle! I'd finished my hair and make up when Jim called. He was on the way to pick me up. The kids were snuffly, so they weren't going to church. So, my late morning ended up being the the same time as going to Sunday School. I was ready when Jim picked me up. That's the main thing.

I took Jim to lunch on the way home. He was hungry, Morgan was asleep. so might as well eat on the way back to my house. That way I didn't have to cook anything. Mike and I'll have manwich for dinner tonight. I might make it Chili Mac since it's so dreary.

I came home and finished the bowl cozies. Now, I'm going to head back in there to clean up that room for the holidays. Jim was like, just close the door mom. lol. I need to vacuum the floor, everything else was pretty much cleaned up when we moved all the furniture around. The kids room and Mike's bathroom is all that's left to do after that.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday. Be safe if you're traveling.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

18. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Chelea ~ Laptop ~ My current laptop is 9 yrs. old. It probably already has outlived its life expectancy. I'm very pleased it's lasted this long. After hearing all the stories about how displeased people were with adding Windows 10 to their existing computers, losing files, etc., I chose not to upgrade. I've been very satisfied with W-7. I even had one of the senior center's computer coaches add "Never 10" to my laptop so I'd quit getting pop-up messages to upgrade. The final straw was when W-10 started to download without my permission! I quickly removed the battery from the back of my laptop to prevent the download. With Microsoft's support for W-7 ending Jan. 14, I felt it was time to get a new computer. Finding all the features I want on a laptop, which has good reviews, at a price I'm willing to pay, has been a challenge.

If people choose to have the new MS Office installed on their computers (for the cheapest home use), it's a one time purchase of $149. or a yearly subscription of $99., which certainly will be a cash cow for MS.

20. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post