Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuesday hellos

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tuesday hellos

Good morning friends. While I have power, there are still some who don't. Hopefully they will get it back today. Those people have wood stoves and generators. At least with this really cold weather no food should spoil.

I did some cleaning yesterday, although not as much as I wanted. I was babying my arm. Today I have Victoria's Quilts and our luncheon following so after that I will go to emergency and see about my arm because this morning it is very painful.

I also went over to Doug's to check on him. His power was on but he was having trouble with his TV. Turns out his dish outside was covered in ice and snow. Well I got that cleaned for him so he was really happy to have all his channels back.

My friend and neighbour was over. She had major surgery almost 2 weeks ago and she has a funeral this week. Well, she doesn't own much 'nice' clothes and we are about the same size so she picked out a pair of pants that she would be comfortable in and a nice top to match. She also went home with one of my rice bags that she can use now on her stomach.

With my arm currently out of commission I haven't been able to sew. Maybe today they will give me cortisone shot (I hope).

And so that is it for me. Have a wonderful day friends.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

2. Thanks Claire Hallman, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tuesday hellos

Good Morning Monique and all who follow.

Yesterday was sort of busy. I made hay while the light was good with my hand sewing. Last night, I didn't even pick it up. After dinner, both grandsons decided to vacuum my rugs. Oh boy, Jonathan can handle the machine without difficulty, Poor Zeke (3) could hardly hold it up much less manage it. I did help him a little on the rug by the door. "I can do it!" He didn't want any help at all. lol, but when I let go, well, he didn't last too long.

Dinner was nice and simple. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and peas. The kids were 'grounded' no cookies or fudge after dinner. Grandma had a cookie and a small piece of fudge after they left.

Jonathan will be here for home school this morning. Mom's bringing him, so it will probably be after 9 before he gets here. We just don't get as much done. Nothing I can do about lost hours, but get to what I can get to. I'll be glad to put the school stuff in the box and forget it for a couple of weeks!

I have one last Christmas present to buy, for Morgan's brother. I've always gotten him an Amazon gift card to go on his Kindle. I'll continue the tradition. I don't know if he still buys books or not. I can hope. He's 16. lol, he drove me home on Sunday with his mom. She was a nervous wreck. I told him he really did a good job, just to watch his speed on turns.

I bought my BIL, Joe 4 studio sessions at the place he goes to do ballroom dancing. Dot says he loves it and he's getting ready to quit because he just can't afford it. He's still paying all of the 'ex/ still wife's' bills at their house. Not sure but there's something about her age and divorce and his retirement involved in that mess. But he's not going back and living with Dot (MIL). Dot didn't get the gift certificate. I called yesterday, and asked the same guy I talked to a month ago, what could we do? There's no tracking number as it was just sent regular mail. Dot suggested to have them just give it to Joe when he goes on Wednesday. Poor Dance Guy says, I don't think he's coming in. Well poo. I finally told the Dance Guy, you call him and tell him he has some more lessons, already paid for. lol I guess I threw him under the bus. Joe won't yell at him, but I'm sure I'm going to get a phone call sometime later this week. What a mess, and I was just trying to be nice.

It's dreary out this morning. Jim wants to take me to the animal shelter this afternoon. I have to be kind of picky with my allergies and not let my 'Awwwwwwww he/she's so cute' gene get carried away!

Have a wonderful day everyone!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Morning all,
    Monique, sure hope you get some relief for your arm.

Was up early today trying to organize my " to do" list in an efficient order to get it done in a timely way so I can head up to the sewing room. I have one gift to make that I have procrastinated on for a year now and it has to be done for Christmas. Shame on me!

Have not finalized any plans for Christmas, was hoping one of the kids would host this year but one home is under renovation with no furniture and the other is in the process of moving in a new home with no furniture in it yet. Soooo it just may be here, if so it will be a scaled down version of Christmas, an appetizer, lasagna, salad, and a dessert.

We've just been informed our health insurance is changing as of January 1st, so now my Dr. wants me to finish some medical testing before it changes, uggh. It's such a busy time of year and now I have three tests scheduled by December 30.

Well, I better get a move on, get dressed and start the errands for today. Wishing everyone a good day!
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning all,

Katrina, how fun to be looking for a canine friend! I hope the right one is just waiting for you :-)
    Monique, I'm glad you got your power back on. In 1997 we had a terrible ice storm, and we lost power for almost 5 days. We had a kerosene heater which we used in the family room with a blanket nailed across the doorway to keep the heat in. But we had to go into the unheated part of the house to use the bathroom......boy that seat was ice cold!!! Anyway, after that we bought a generator, but have never had to use it! Murphy's Law I guess.

Work was really busy yesterday...again. Tons of fleece was cut. I think everyone in the immediate area will be getting at least 3 fleece blankets for Christmas. LOL I'm off until the weekend, and I expect it will be a "madhouse".

Today I'll get the last of the Christmas gifts bought and get my hair done as well. I have to get a tree skirt done for my DD. I've never made one before, so I'll be winging it. I have the one my mom made for me to use as a pattern and inspiration.

Have a safe and productive day everyone.
    Jeanee

8. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Brr! It's only 12 deg. out there this a.m. We're supposed to have 50's by mid-week. We still have snow on the ground, mostly on north-facing yards & roofs, from the pre-Thanksgiving snow storm. Parking lots have big piles of snow yet.

After yest. afternoon's massage, I slept so well last night! I feel rested this a.m.

I'm still working on Christmas mail. I just have in state & local addresses left. I do all the out of state & out of country cards first. Maybe today I can get the Christmas tree brought up from the basement. We keep it decorated all year. Just cover it with a large garbage bag when not in use. It's a small table tree. I gave away all my other Christmas decorations several years ago.

Well, DH is waiting for me to fix his breakfast. On with the day.

10. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to all of my forum friends. I am doing well, just going day to day. Went into town yesterday to do the holiday grocery shopping . I know its early but, as the traffic increases I know I can't go later. Made candys last week but not the fudge as I didn't have the marshmellow fluff stuff. Got it yesterday. Then, I thought...I should bop over to the shopping district and see if I could get a sweater for DH. OH MY!! I got there. Found a parking space and realized that it was two in from the entrance to the parking and cars were just rushing in that hole. As I left, I asked a lady and her son if they would come and stop the traffic so I could leave. They were so kind.
    I went to Sam's club for groceries and let me tell you...they were out of meat except for the expensive prime stuff. No pork ribs or chops, no lamb, no brisket...I wanted one of those yard long summer sausages but no...sold out...I was pretty frustrated. I had to go to a chain grocer to get most things that were on the list that I lost on the way. What a day.
    Came home and BIL and MIL were at the house with DH. I was so sorry I missed having that rare company.
    Then DH was checkering his knife handle on the kitchen table on my newly made table topper and he laid down his cigarette and burned a big ol' hole in it. I think I'll cut it up for dish towels.

12. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone,

It was a sew day with 2 GFs who came to use my sewing machine & S16 to try their hand at FMQ. I remembered how to set up my Husky, with sew slip, tension. Karen did an applique wall art of batik houses. She got it done. Pam unfortunately had to rip apart the sleeve she had sewn on her panel quilt before she could FMQ. She is slower but got the hang of it on Sweet 16. I served lunch, and I never know what to serve as both are diabetic & Pam has other restrictions as she is on liver transplant list. I got it right and they were good. I had invited their husbands to join for dinner. This provided such much needed social interaction for DH, sharing trains and sailing stories. I cooked a salmon with lemon dill sauce, basmati rice and asparagus. That's a fast meal for me to make for group dinner. I served a lemon & basil sorbet, which I had everyone try to guess ingredients. DH doesn't like basil, and said it tasted like sawdust. Everyone else loved it, very refreshing. I guess there is no fooling DH.

I slept well, after a busy day of providing instructions. I did press the flannel back & top for a VQC. It will be ready to sandwich& quilt.

Monique - I hope you get some relief for your arm. That's a bummer when you get the itch to sew. I did t realize there were still power losses. That not fun. Happy you are there to help your neighbours.
    Katrina - I'm certain your gift will be appreciated. Generous of you to get gifts for everyone. We cut adult gifts for relatives out a long time ago, except our kids. Too much guessing. Don't be too tempted by those puppy eyes.
    Cathy - I agree there comes a time when you want to pass the torch for xmas dinner. It sounds like you'll be able to, since one's kitchen renovations will be done and the other settled in new house with furniture.
    Terry - I'm happy that you are doing well. It has to be frustrating when stores sell out, and have to shop around time. I would be upset about table runner. No one smokes in our house, and those that do come over know to take it outside.

Today I need to start xmas cards. I usually mail first week of December. No newsletter, but maybe a personal note instead. Those that we care about are close, and those that are far away call regularly to get updates, and we email on regular basis. As we age, gotta learn to let some things go. DH is still having difficulty getting around, so there's only so much I can do.

Today I'm meeting my GF Dorothy for coffee. She will bring some found fabrics to finish a VQC quilt. I will do a load or two of laundry and maybe visit mom.

Have a good day.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

14. Thanks Monique thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Everyone,

Sounds like everyone is quite busy. Luckily I have all my shopping done and wrapped. As for Christmas dinner, I passed the torch to my daughter a few years ago. Her home is larger and she is a wonderful cook. I sometimes miss doing it, but it all works out better this way.

It is on the foggy side here today and temp is only 33. Our weather isn't to be very nice this week, but I suppose that is to be expected with this time of year.

I am hoping to work on my next quilt today. I am dragging my feet on this one since I have to cut over 2000, 2 1/2" squares. Cutting isn't one of my favorite things to do. I have about half of them cut. I am looking forward to sewing them together. This one is going to take me a while.

I wish you all well, and a happy day.

16. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am venturing out for a while today, need to do a bit of grocery shopping and drop things for donation. I really need some printer ink as well.
    Later I plan on making cookies and putting fresh linens on the bed. The washer is churning away already.
    If there is a little time I have a quilt almost finished with the fmq and would love to see it done.
    We are spending Christmas with DS and family, it will be different. I know we will enjoy spending the day with the grands but sorry my son dumped this on his working wife. I will be taking several dishes to lighten her load.

18. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and sorry to have been absent for so very long. Hubby had to have emergency by-pass surgery at the beginning of the year which totally shocked and scared all of us (especially him!). He was doing well with the recovery but, as can happen in 1/3 of all surgeries, he got what was called an abdominal incisional hernia. So he had to heal from the original surgery and then in October they did the repair which was another 4 hour major surgery. That recovery has been a bit slower from the shock to the body having 2 major surgeries in under a year. But all is good, is has been mending well. He has a beautiful scar from the top of his sternum right down to his nether region. Looks like a giant zipper!
    For those of you who remember my youngest daughter (the one with PTSD), she has been doing great in high school. She is in Grade 12 and though the angst of being a teenager is tough, she has been making friends and learning to trust others again. She loves school and is going to be going on to college to get her certification as a Librarian Technician! One of her earlier teachers had told her she could never go to college or university because of her learning disability. As many of you good ladies know....never tell a mother her child cannot do something or dream big. So, I scoured the internet, found what she needed and she is working her backside off to make it happen. She understands it make take her an extra 6 months to do it, but as we talked, she understood that time does not matter if you want to make something really happen.
    My oldest is now 22, she works in retail and absolutely loves it. She has had a bit of difficulty with the customers that are rude just because they feel they can be; but a hug from mom and a cup of tea usually set everything back to rights. As you can probably guess, I am proud of my girls, they are one of the best things I have ever done in my life.
    On the 22nd of this month, hubby and I will have been together for 29 years. Now he is terrible at remember anniversaries and I have learned to not get emotional because, frankly, he is not demonstrative about such things. However, I have wanted a dog for quite a few years now (it was quite hard when our last one had to be put down) but he said No because he just could not go through the emotional devastation again. Well, miracles happen!!!!! There is a dog that is a King Charles Spaniel (the breed my youngest loves with a passion) that was losing his home after Christmas. No one wanted him. I talked to my husband and because he really started to understand how hard it has been for me to be without a furbaby, he said Yes. Honestly, I cried like a baby just because he was willing to open that door for me. Well, I contacted the people who were fostering the dog temporarily and they were thrilled we wanted him. He will be coming to his forever home here this Saturday, the 21st. (snoopy dancing) So my Christmas is already complete with miracle...and he can forget the next 29 anniversaries with my leave! (hehe)
    That's it from the great white North and may you all have a blessed day. {hugs}
    Sandy B.
    "A heart that gives will never be empty."